Mono v Braid

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Lots of carp anglers have now reverted to using mono line instead of braid. If you're one such angler why have you gone back to mono? Do you think the braid phase was just fashionable - or was there really a good case for braid?

N

nigel catterall

Could someone tell me what the difference is anyway?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Re, the difference between mono and braid:

Mono is an abbreviation of nylon monofilament, ie, it is a single strand of line made from nylon or some other, similar material. Braid, or braided line, is a number of much finer lines braided together.

Braid is usually rough to the touch, while mono is smooth. The main advantage of braid is that it is very supple compared to mono. But now many carp anglers (and other coarse anglers) are finding that the smoothness of mono is more advantageous than the suppleness of braid. Also, mono does not need a special rig to prevent tangling.

E

EDDIE BIBBY

I went back to using mono hooklengths after using braid for 12 months and noticed an increase in my catches. I have recently(over the last 12 months) been using fluorocarbon-Berkley Vanish- hooklengths and my catches have improved even more,not only for carp ,but for other species i.e. barbel,chub etc.Has anyone else tried fluorocarbon line and have you found a difference???

C

Carp Angler

I did for a while change all my rods to braid. Now I have changed some back to mono.
I still use braid for distance fishing as I find I can get the extra distance with the thinner diameter without any decrease in strength.
One rod I have definitely gone back to mono on is my marker rod.
I found that using braid I was finding all these marvellous gravel patches. Only problem was that they were covered in weed. The braid was too sensitive and giving me a good knock knock on the drag back and then when I leaded about with a hook length attached I was dragging back in weed.
I wasted too much time chasing non-existent patches.
As for flouracarbon hooklengths in the right swim with the right bait...absolutely fantastic.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Good point about feature-finding with braid. And I'm sold on Fluoro hooklengths for much of my fishing now. There's more to fluoro than just the invisibility factor that's for sure.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

I use braid for all my fishing now after having first tried it out some ten years ago.I would never use it as a hook length though.IMO it is far supperior to mono as long as it is used properly and most importantly of all selected properly.I tend to buy my braids by diameter rather than BS.

Sorry a bit of a thick moment there you were obviously on about hook lengths Graham.Not main lines.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's right Budgie, I was referring to hooklengths, but I didn't make that clear in the first place.

P

Philip Inzani

In terms of a hooklength IMO the biggest thing going for mono hooklengths or stiff links is the tangle free qualities. I like braid for the more natural movement it allows the bait. I am not convinced that visibility is a major factor in anything but the clearest water or when floater fishing where I think a Fluorocarbon could be an advantage?.Anyone found this to be better than multistrand which is my current choice with floaters ?
What does concern me more is the tendency of hook lengths to loop up. Even sinking braids or fluorocarbon which I am told sinks far faster than standard mono can loop quite dramatically and if you dont pull back after casting then the problem can be even worse as your hooklength will generally land in a heap on top of the lead. Putting tiny "mouse droppings" of magma or similar on it wont help either unless you use
massive amounts. How about combi links ? I have started to play around with these more and more and I think they offer some advantages.
I was very interested to hear "Carp anglers" experiences with braid on the plumbing rod, I have just started to do that this season and I am amazed at the difference but I am now a little concerned that it may as you say be too sensitive? anyone else found this to be a problem as well?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Try taking the shine off fluoro with some fine wire wool when floater fishing. Most of the time it's the reflection that gives the game away. Not too much though, or you end up losing the invisibility property.

C

Carp Angler

Philip, with regards to the marker rod, it all depends on the lake, if you are fishing a mere or a silty venue, then I would imagine that it would work wonders, most of my carping is done on gravel pits so I ended up chasing ghosts. I'm cofused now, I thought is was about mainlines, if it's about hooklengths then hold on to your corsets gals and prepare for a torrent................................

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, the debate is about hooklengths, but if anyone wants to discuus the same thing about main lines then just post a new topic with a comment or question.

Attachments

• 2267.jpg
    2267.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 56
C

Carp Angler

depending on the wariness of the fish, the nature of the bottom, my method of attack and what bait I'm using will determine what length, style and type of hooklength I use. I have five rig bins, each with 19 rigs and a board that has about 15 rigs on it. Oh sod it, I'll have to do an article, what format do you want it in graham?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be an interesting article. You can send it as an e-mail or attached to an e-mail as a Word.doc. Any text programme will be fine though. Pictures always help too, and these can be scans sent by e-mail, or send prints, negs or slides to my address. Contact me by e-mail on graham@fishingmagic.com for more info.

B

Brian Johnson

As someone who suffers from pains, (caused by age I think)
I find Braid very good, instead of strikeing hard I just lift the rod and the fish is hooked.
I don't have to play the fish as hard also if you take it gentle it comes to the net much easier.
Against Braid, it sinks badly, if this was overcome it would be perfect

C

Chris Bishop

There are several braids which float - Fireline, Whiplash etc

B

Brian Johnson

Thanks Chris but what I'm looking for is a braid that sinks fast

C

Chris Bishop

Sorry mate, there's Submerge - Fox market it as a fast-sinking carp braid. I haven't tried it myself as I'm into floating lines.

G

Hi all, I tend to use Combi-links for most of my fishing for the simple reason I have the best of both worlds, good anti-tangle properties and a supple braid to aid hooking potential.

I don't use all mono hook-links because I'm not confident in the hooks ability to turn downwards as braid would.
Also, I'm not happy with mono in silty conditions with the lead being embedded in the shallow silt.(I'd use a Helicopter/Silt-rig for beep silt)

What you all think to the theory, which I believe, that carp in gravel pits have less sensitive lips due to the abrasiveness of the lake-bed than carp from clay pits or Silty waters?