The Bread Roll Rig

C

Cakey

Because of all the bull you come out with Clive you can be Ermintrude.

R

RobD

Clive,
Please feel free to post your much worked on efficient version as I haven't seen it yet....... If your lucky you might get my approval :)

C

Clive Evans

Robin,
put the time in yourself,sleepy-head. If you can stay awake long enough!
Thirty+ fish to 18lb in three hours is efficient enough for me/ I've already got the fishes approval, why would I need yours.

C

Clive Evans

Cakey,
hate to be pedantic, mate, but Ermintrude was a cow!
Or is this a fiendish ploy to get yourself renominated as Dougal. Wont work my friend. Keep taking the acid.
Clive.

R

RobD

Shut up Clive, start using safe rigs!
"thirty+fish to 18" go catch some real fish.

Like they say theres no foll like an old fool.

R

robert payne

Why all this controversy about a rig my Dad used for years and had no trouble with?
Do we really have to go on about such things all the time?
Surely there are more important subjects to discuss. It is claptrap of this kind that only serves to divide an already fragmented and sometimes self-destructive sport. The antis will love it!!!

T

Tony wainwright

Do the "antis" visit this site?
Anyway this has developed into a sensible debate in which a blind man could see that we are interested in not damaging fish. Where's the harm in that?

R

Rupert Stephenson

Shut up Clive, start using safe rigs!
"thirty+fish to 18" go catch some real fish.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
well this is a rediculous statment to make ?
is not a 4oz roach as much pleasure to catch as a 40lb carp , small is beautifull , beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there all real fish.
yes i get fed up too with tiny fish , but are you there to ton-up on biggies , or enjoy your life in the freedom of the countryside.
its a very short life in the perspective of time .
you should try and enjoy your fishing , live and let live , help each other constructivly .

C

Cakey

Clive-I never said you was a bull,you just talk it!

Rupert on a 4oz roach compared to a 40lb carp-NO but then we are on the carp forum...

Robert- its a forum, look it up !

Stuart- yes you can borrow my bait boat.

R

RobD

Rupert,

I totally agree with all you say, fish welfare is top of my list......

my comments just show my lack of patience I guess!

I simply can't dismiss the "POSSIBLE" dangers of the rig as it was shown, many people have used it without no problem and this is good but having seen fish with eyes missing, badly damaged mouth and broken fins I take the "POSSIBILITIES" seriously.

These threads were actually becoming very positive and people were actually thinking about the rig and how it could be bettered, I myself am working on another version and will be trying to throught the summer...

Clive is clearly oblivious to what I call the possibilities or dangers of the rig as shown, he appears to see no wrong or possible dangers in he rig and this is where my patience runs out; hence the comments........

So once again I'll say come on Clive if you have spent the last ten years making this rig better then let everyone in on it.

This will benefit everyone and possibly the fish too!

R

Rupert Stephenson

ok then , lets all get down to the facts?
some of us like the rig and some not.
i use the rig with no ill effects.

but i am open to a better method of using it , or improving it , it works well as it is but lets now all stop the barracking and sniping and get down to practicle theory on how to improve it.

i have tried adding a bread flake to the hook , but get pesterd by catching roach etc.

so my idea is to make the rig smaller , inserting the hook just inside the bread roll , then suspending the roll using a white small polly ball slid upto the bread and held in place with a float stop, this should act as a large white bread bait , but be small enough for a carp to take whole , and the hook should pull through to catch him , using the poly ball would present the bread bait hook first to a fish, so ensuring a better chance of a take before the fish might foul hook itself

just an idea , any thoughts on improvement or a better idea , the only obsticle to the original rig seems to be the exposed hook, the line coils never cut into each other as the bread keeps the coils apart.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey,
funny you should say that 'cause I figured out why you didn't like the character Clive picked for you.

It's because you want to be Florence, 'cause you've got nicer dresses than Graham. ;o}~

C

Cakey

Rodney you plonker ,now you've done it,where did I say I didn't like the character Clive picked me ?

ps Rodney what I would really like is a pair of those leather trousers that you wear the ones with no arse in .

R

RobD

Rupert,

As it goes your idea must be the simplest and the best yet, the size thing I think is quite important as this was something that I saw as a worry... I mentioned at one point the possibility of carp pulling at the bait sideways which does happen no matter what anyone says, a carp doesn't know the right or wrong way to take a bait "luckily" so your idea of making the whole thing much smaller is a winner.

The effect that is lost thought is the slicing of the bread which is nice as it can leave a few freebies behind while your playing the fish you've hooked, or have a got that wrong it sounds like your not binding the bread at all with your version... is that right?

Your thinking is definately going the right way I'd say.

R

Rupert Stephenson

robin
no i would wrap the bread just the same as before , so leaving the bits of bread behind to bait your swim.

another method along this line i saw years ago was a womans hair curler , the hollow plastic type , the line was threaded through the roller , a hook attached at one end and baited , then the roller was stuffed with bread , giving a feeder effect that floated , i think maybe some one else might have tried this method , anyone any ideas?
if i can find any old culers i would try it out,

my personal view of fish is that they have not advanced mentaly as we have in the past 50 years , but they get used to certain baits presented in a certain way , i feel that a reversion to very basic tactics often works well as the fish have forgoten to be wary of the simple methods.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey you said "ps Rodney what I would really like is a pair of those leather trousers that you wear the ones with no arse in ."

You mean you want them back?? you could have told me, it took me ages to get the grass stains off the knees and 3 tubes of Aquasure to glue them up to make a pair of waders.

R

RobD

Rupert,

Thats very funny about the curlers because thats along the lines I've been considering, the curler stuffed with bread and crusts poking through the holes, perhaps a poly ball in the center of the cage.... again when you strike there'll br bread left in your swim which would be nice.

The tieing up doesn't worry me much with your smaller version as the whole lot will be in the mouth so theres no chance of any lines coming loose or foul hookings as long as the whole thing is bite sized!