The Bread Roll Rig

C

Clive Evans

Robin,
sorry about that, I didn't make it very clear did I. If the roll is small enough to go in the mouth then you have some two feet+ of line to unravel before you have a straight line to set the hook against.
Depending on how long it has been in the water, ie. how soft the bread has become, this will give the fish ample time to blow it out. So, unless the hook happens to snag, which I dont like because it can be very deep at times, then you dont catch the fish. And the rig is toast,so to speak.
This happened many times in the early days till I caught on and upped the size.
Also small rigs suffer much more from the attention of small fish when Mr.Carp is a bit slow finding it. They can very quickly reduce it to a tangled mess of line and bread.And of course being small and much lighter you simply cant cast it any thing like as far.
Large and well wrapped up, this doesn't happen. But if you bait the hook, then you will get the little blighters beating the carp to the punch.
Actually, a couple of the lakes I fish have some decent-sized roach and rudd, and I often down-size rig and hook, extend the line a little, pop on a bit of crust, and enjoy some good catches.
By the way, I dont use carp rods because you cant cast the bread very far, so I'm sometimes glad that I dont fish lakes that have many 20s or 30s in there. My best at 19lb was a heart in the mouth job, believe me.
Hope this makes clear the points you raised.
If you have any more, just ask.
Clive.

B

Brian Lewis

Unless I've misunderstood, it's been suggested that this rig is much safer and less likely to foul hook if the hook is baited.

I've just been reading the thread on "Foul Hooked Carp" which were foul hooked when floatfishing for them. On those ocassions the hook would have been baited but the fish were still foul hooked a number of times.

Equally, I'm pleased to say that I've never foul hooked using a hair rig which, after all, has the hook exposed.

Surely this suggests that it's just as likely or unlikely to foul hook either way. What's the difference?

For the avoidence of doubt, this is a serious question, not a wind up!

R

RobD

Brian if you read right through the thread it will be very clear mate that the issue is with the possible combination of loosening line and a bare hook.... COULD cause the foul hooking.

As you can see there is no proof that this happens.... just a possibility

C'ya.

C

Clive Evans

Robin,
As an aside on the the curler thing. Allthough it was discarded, the idea itself led to a floating swim-feeder made by removing the lead from a normal cage-feeder and replacing it with the thinnest piece of foam that would carry the weight at the surface. Of course, you have slack line so bite indication was a problem being low in the water and at a distance difficult to see. This was overcome by drawing the feeder slowly back to you. The catching area was severely limited to the area of feed. So not much use for carp. Todays floating-method-feeders with an antenna are much more efficient. But the idea did work, and turned out to great for catching Rudd and orfe who apparently like a moving maggot.
Just thought I'd share that with you.
Clive.

R

RobD

Have you just tried that Clive or are you talking from the past?

I just wondered because I could see that being more effective for a couple of othere species.... perhaps golden orfe?

Who knows!

C

Clive Evans

Robin,
from about 5 years ago I think. Still have a couple in my feeder box that get the occasional wetting.
The reason I left it at that stage was low carp-catch rate. But yes, the orfe certainly liked a moving maggot. Give it some trial yourself, perhaps you might see a way to improve bite indication, which is the major problem. I tried bright coloured foam which helps visually, but did nothing to combat the fact that a feeder is a rather bulky and inefficient float.
A bit like the American style of worm and bung. Whereas I was after something nearer proper float and sprayed magott.
Clive.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Bread Roll Rig - never seen nothing like it before. When i manage to squeeze myself a couple of ours of fishing on the top, I usually just pop over to a water near me that holds many mirrors and commons that avegarge around the 6-10lb mark, with the ocasional larger double. As far as I'm concerned, it takes me back to my youth in that I'll only cart over a rod and minimum tackle.
I'd had a stressful few days last week and managed to get over to this little pool and started on imitation dog biscuit with nothing more than a few suspicious slurps. Aparently bread crust on the top had been done to death and just wasn't producing. Anyway, 30 minutes til dusk and Stuart decides to give the bread roll rig a try. 3 fish in 30 minutes and the most violent of takes just goes to show that this rig truly is a winner! Cheers for putting me on it!

Dannyw

Reaction score
Hi all can anyone advise on how you wrap the line around the bread to keep it on. For life of me I kind figure out how this method works. As I understand it you place the bread flat and then once the hook link along the unfolded bread with the hook exposed at the end by a few inches. You then roll the bread over and around the line until all bread is like a cigar around the line with hook showing at the end. If I am right here, how do you wrap the line around the bread. Have completely misunderstood this method or missing something very straight forward? Any help would be great I would like to adapt it slightly but want to fully understand the basic concept of he method before utilising. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Philip

Reaction score
The thread is 17 years old but basically you wrap the bread round the line not the line round the bread.

The basic concept is to cover a few inches of your line above your hook with bread & leave the hook exposed at one end. Point of note, I may be mistaken but I believe a previous record Carp was actually caught on this.

All that said to be honest I would not bother. Too fiddly and fragile. Just put the bread on the hook and be done with it.