Maggots - For winter carp

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Yes it will but they will only be dried for a few miniutes and then they will be very very wet and possibly drown.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have been toying with the idea of using worms this winter. The mother in laws compost heap is full of apples and under the rotting apples it is alive with brandlings I can collect 3 kilos in about five minuites.
I was going to use a couple of fake thin worms from Enterprise tackle and several live brandlings on a maggot clip and spod cut up woms over the top. I am playing with trying to dry the worms in trout pellet dust to dry them enough to put into a PVA bag.
With the amount of worms I can get for nothing its got to be worth a go. And a wjhole lot cheaper than maggots at £22.00 per gallon.
Regulars at Sandhurst think nothing of taking 3-5 gallons with them for a session thats way above my cost thresh hold.

i have tried brandlings a couple of times with varying success. i found bunches of whole ones would pick up odd fish, although i caught more perch than carp. however, whenever i fed chopped ones, the swim died?

drying them with pellet powder, could well work, as i did often wonder how i would get on fishing over a big bed of them in the open water where you tend to get less perch, but i would have concerns about drying them too much and killing them. would love to know how you get on.

Shine

Reaction score
All very interesting an will be printing this thread off for next year.

I hope others are learning apart from me :)