Maggots - For winter carp

Shine

Reaction score
Not that I will be able to this winter but I'm interested to know....

What's the best way to go about carp fishing with maggots during winter?
Do you put some in a small pva bag, a few freebies, 4 5 6 10 on the hook, mixed some with a little ground bait?

Is there one way that's more popular than others, or does it all depend on the day?

Cakey

Reaction score
naa we all use maggot clips
295-fox-maggot-clips---new-th.jpg

Cakey

Reaction score
when I was on my self imposed boilie ban I tried them out and they were superb on "runs waters" but I didnt have the cinfidence to stay on them to long on hard waters ................

Shine

Reaction score
Are you photographing everything that's said now :)...... Smart avatar
====================================================

One lake I fish has a no boilie rule anyway so I'll be trying the clip next year.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You can hair rig maggots by threading them onto the hair using a fine needle then tie a knot (not too tight) causing them to bunch up in a ball. You can feed using fine mesh pva and no, maggots don't bury themselves in the bottom. Carp love maggot and I can never understand why carp anglers don't use them more often even putting about a dozen on a size 12 hook will catch them, they are suckers for them but you may get the odd double figure bream or a big tench now and again but hey! thats fishing.

You can also use the medusa rig method of superglueing them onto a small cork ball like this.

Last edited:

Shine

Reaction score
That looks yummy Graham. How long would you leave a ball of maggots out on a cold winters day? A few hours again?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
here are a few rigs i have had great success with. Re rig incertion times it all depend on the silver fish poulation and indication on the bobbins etc if you think you are being done well the rigs have to be brought in more often to ensure they are fresh and the maggots are live.

Q3-main4.jpg

Small PVA bag of maggots

IMG_3451.JPG

Simple maggot rig

bunch-of-maggots.jpg

Maggots & Pellets PVA bag allow you to pull the hook into the bag withou puncturing the maggots with the hook point.

Quest4_Sean-Jones-photo-3-.jpg

helicopter rig with PVA stocking mesh bag tied to the ring swivel at the base of the inline square pear lead.

Last edited:

maver man

Reaction score
For worms i was tying with the idea of spodding out dead maggots then putting a few lobs on a maggot clip ;)

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Also when using a stick mix with maggots whats your proffered flavours?
Mine is white crumb with hemp and corn ;)

Frothey

Reaction score
forget the clips, waste of time. just use a couple on the hook like in Ians post.

IMG_3451.JPG

I also wouldn't bother spodding them, you dont need to attract carp to maggots and just a few will hold fish in the swim - likewise I wouldn't bother killing them unless you are just using up the "leftovers" from another session (I have about 4 kilo's of dead'uns in the freezer, not got around to using them yet!)

If you want to create a "patch" of bait, just use a big bag/stocking full of them. Liquidised bread is good, but a bag of maggots is better!

maver man

Reaction score
forget the clips, waste of time. just use a couple on the hook like in Ians post.

IMG_3451.JPG

I also wouldn't bother spodding them, you dont need to attract carp to maggots and just a few will hold fish in the swim - likewise I wouldn't bother killing them unless you are just using up the "leftovers" from another session (I have about 4 kilo's of dead'uns in the freezer, not got around to using them yet!)

If you want to create a "patch" of bait, just use a big bag/stocking full of them. Liquidised bread is good, but a bag of maggots is better!

Ta mate.
So if i had left over mags should i just but them in a airtight bag and bang them in the freezer or should i leave them on the radiator a while then put them in?

How about using liquidized bread and mags in a mesh bag?

Cheers,
Adam.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have been toying with the idea of using worms this winter. The mother in laws compost heap is full of apples and under the rotting apples it is alive with brandlings I can collect 3 kilos in about five minuites.
I was going to use a couple of fake thin worms from Enterprise tackle and several live brandlings on a maggot clip and spod cut up woms over the top. I am playing with trying to dry the worms in trout pellet dust to dry them enough to put into a PVA bag.
With the amount of worms I can get for nothing its got to be worth a go. And a whole lot cheaper than maggots at £22.00 per gallon.
Regulars at Sandhurst think nothing of taking 3-5 gallons with them for a session thats way above my cost thresh hold.

Last edited: