maverman t shirt on way

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Nic I have not received my tee shirt yet maybe its due to the christmas post slowwing it down.

nik saunders

Reaction score
Cheers mate.
I hope so to :)
Is it the Irie t-shirt?

sorry mate its green with black and red diem on it it will def do you a turn mate.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

sorry ian i wasnt sure if a xl was to small for you mate lol , if i get another t shirt ill swap you for some brand new greys platinums lol

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Nic just to let you know I am XXL Marque size actually and if I get any more Platinums I will consider it. Thanks Mate LOL.

maver man

Reaction score
Oh right no probs mate just wondering i am happy with any t-shirt if it is free :)
You are doing me a favour mate thanks :)
Ands with regards to your 3.5 test. rod it will be okay as i use my 2.75 test. rod and it casts a 3 oz grippa a long way and handles it fine ;)
Oh yeah i use braid mainline as there is no stretch ;)

maver man

Reaction score
Oh right no probs mate just wondering i am happy with any t-shirt if it is free :)
You are doing me a favour mate thanks :)
Ands with regards to your 3.5 test. rod it will be okay as i use my 2.75 test. rod and it casts a 3 oz grippa a long way and handles it fine ;)
Oh yeah i use braid mainline as there is no stretch ;)

Oh read it again ^^ hehe

As long as you can read what is being transmitted through your rod tip without it doubling up on you it will be okay. Also dont try to chuck out ridiculous weights.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Nic the stiffer the rod the better the tranmission of vibrations will be felt. Will a 3.5tc rod do the job well my 3.5tc century NG's are much much softer than my Platinum 3.5 tc rods. The best rod for the job in all honesty is a spod rod as they are normally dead stiff and designed specifically with just casting in mind so do not have soft through actions.
But really if you have only got a 3.5tc rod as long as you use a non strecth braid you should be able to feel something. PS the fox marker rod is possibly the softest marker rod I have ever used and as such almost useless but hey they sold loads of them ?

maver man

Reaction score
I might upgrade my spod rod ian heard much about the Berkleys transmitter 2.5 test. rods?

nik saunders

Reaction score
cheers ian , just to pick your brains again , while i have been in bed for the last few months i thought of an idear which i think will be a winner but dont wanna just phone a company and say this is my idear and they say no good but go ahead and make it anyway, im not in a postion to make this product , but i have spoken to my mates and a few other people and they think it would be a winner but im not sure what to do .

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Nic
Are we talking fishing hear or sex trade products? LOL seriously it does not cost much to patent your idea and concept then approach the correct people and before you start detailed conversations get them to sign a confidentiality agreement. If they won’t them walk away.

And Maverman The Berkley blerb talks about a markert rod that can cast a 4.5oz lead a very long way and them states the test curve is 2.75lb! Now in all my carp fishing I have struggled to get 3.5 oz leads a long way on a 2.75 tc rod so I think somewhere something is not being presented right. What sort of price have you seem them for? I have found them at £75.00 and I know of several marker rods which are top draw for less than that.
If you want a spod rod it need really to have a Tc of at least 4.5lb preferably 5.5lb to cope with a casting load 5oz to 7 oz of fully loaded spod.

Last edited:

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks Ian.
I have seen them for around the same price.
What other rods have you seen cheaper?

Adam.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Maverman
What are we looking for a spod or marker rod and what is your budget. Please bear in mind you will also need a big pit reel, braid,leader and a spod or marker float set up.

maver man

Reaction score
I am fully aware of this i will get the Daiwa evo reel, i was looking for a marker rod and i have braid line ready and i heard you dont need a shockleader when using braid as your mainline?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Maverman
Now about leaders. Braid can be very very thin the braid I use is called whiplash pro in 30lb bs. It is a floating braid which makes retreiving the spod a whole lot easier as the spod pops up onto the plane during the retreive a whole ot quicker than sinking braid.
Whiplash pro at 30lb has the same diameter as 8lb mono so it is very thin. Now with wet fingers and thin line if during a hard cast the clutch slips just a little well the braid will slice strait into your finger like a cheese wire through cheese. Also with a spod weighting in at upto 7oz you need a shockleader. I use ESP sonic braid in 45lb becuase its nice and thick in comparison to the Whiplash pro and its cheap at just £5.95 for 25m. I can now with the aid of a casting glove or leather finger stool cast as far as I want without the fear of loosing the tip of my casting finger.
PS we did not get to the budget price ?.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

cheers ian gonna look in to patent , and yes def fishing mate , and such a simple idear cant see why it has not been done yet, again cheers mate

Nic rod rests are already on the market sorry to be the last to tell you.

maver man

Reaction score
Dont worry i have a leather finger stool and will be using that.
Am i right in saying the shocklead should be the length of the tail (line of the rod when casting which is to the spigot=6ft) + 12ft of my rod and twice round the spool of my reel?
My price range will be around £60-£80 sorry :eek:

Adam.