help ,anyone used the fox stratos 12000 fs e or the daiwa windcast x reels

nik saunders

Reaction score
hi guys my oldman is fed up with lending me his reels , and im lookin at these two , i have seen the fox in the flesh and look and feel nice and give a nice balence to my rod, but i dont know anyone thats used them , i have also seen the new daiwa windcast they look nice but not seen in the flesh , and im not sure on this quick drag spool , can anyone help as im going to buying this weekend cheers

GertR

Reaction score
NIK if you send me a PM or and email adress i would tell you what i know about the FOX reel.
For some reason i cannot remember how to send you a message on this site?

nik saunders

Reaction score
cheers mate im the same with the pm cant remember how to so here is my e mail addres mate , nik_saunders@yahoo.com , thats nik underscore at yahoo.com cheers mate

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

sorry mate nik underscore saunders at yahoo . com

nik saunders

Reaction score
how long have you had them mate as i have seen some bad reviews on them makin a nasty noise after a while , but you can never really tell by other forums as i think they just like to slag off things, so is the line lay good , cast nice and would you buy them again mate cheers nik

bill2

Reaction score
my only concern with my fs10,000s is that i had to move the shims to the rear of the spool in order to get a nice straight spooling. (as opposed to forward or rear coning of line), and this resulted in the front clutch disc appearing to jut out a little bit. However, I've never found this to be a problem! Line lay is superb, it casts like a dream, and is as smooth as the proverbial ..etc. Also, the clutch is so smooth that for the first time ever, i leave the anti-reverse pretty much permenantly engaged. I do have some shimano's, but will be buying another fox reel when i have some dosh! Line clips reassuringly good too.. However, i'm not exactly the voice of experience here.. but thats my experience

sergioge

Reaction score
12000fs

Hi mate,id definatly go for the fox reels,ive been using them for about 2 1/2 months now and i can honestly say they are one of the best reels ive used,i was using the 10000s(also an amazing set of reels) before i got these and ive never had a single problem with either of them,everything from the line lay,the smoothness to the line clip absolutly superb,i have no complaints what so ever,hope this helps mate,tight lines, rivercarper1

sagalout

Reaction score
I have a pair of the 7000e's. I have had them about 20 months and they get used twice a week. I have had them both replaced, and one of them is now making a grating noise when you first start winding in.

One of the reels would not engage the rotor when the baitrunner came off, and one of the baitruner levers broke.

Smashing reel to use, nice line lay and silky smooth.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I have played with both the 12000 and the 10000 reels and love the ultra smooth and progressive clutches. The only down side I have found is particulary on the 10000 they are very very prone to line spin and twist. Apart from that from me they get the thumbs up.
However given the choise Shimano or Fox I would always go Shimano but thats my choice.

nik saunders

Reaction score
cheers ian i know its sad but the fox 12000 fs e would look the nuts on my rods, i did have shimano navi xta or b and loved the the reels for clutch ect but the amont of time s i found myself takin the spool off because of the line going behind the spool , they where a nightmare for that, loved the bait runner spool , as i said the daiwa windcast have a quick drag spool is this the same as the shimano spool, but i just keep lookin at the fox mate lol

bill2

Reaction score
I cant imagine that FOX will or would alow questions about the reliabilty of their reels to persist. it would be ruinous to them! i chucked my boxes, but does anyone know what warranty they have?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Nik
Hey mate you earn your money you go and spend it mate there is not a lot wrong with a FS 12000. Ok I have recently had long discussion with a very knowledgeable industry insider who reported a whole load of problems with Fox reels from handles snapping free spool levers beaking etc etc But you will get mechaincal failures from every manufacturer so fill your boot bloke.
Let us know what you get and a picture or two would be really nice also you could do a reveiw of the reel when you get one and add it to the forum tackle reveiw section ?.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Nick, any reel can be converted to quick drag should you desire.
I used to have Daiwa Tournament 5000T's and they are still an excellent reel despite their age. have a trawl through as many forums as you can and look for reviews on Fox reels, I'll bet a pound to a pinch of snuff they get slated on the majority of posts,why? Probably because Fox are rubbish at quality control.
It's your choice (and money) but would you be happy having a set of reels that may be constantly being replaced due to parts failure and the subsequent waiting around that would entail?
Shimano,Daiwa and Okuma are my recommendations

blancojunior

Reaction score
Daiwa windcast

haay mate

the daiwa windcast i have to say wow such beutiful reels i tryed out the 12000mags at a shop and there not as smooth as the windcast