mainline whats best, need to buy before xmas

nik saunders

Reaction score
lookin for a 12lb mono or fluro that casts like a dream good in the snags and sinks like a brick been lookin at p line fluro clear in the green or the pro clear , please dont say daiwa as i found the line good but does not last long, also been lookin at gardner gtr80, help please as i wanna spool up before xmas on those new fox reels of mine cheers

Frothey

Reaction score
be prepared for loads of different answers.

I use x-line and shimano technium, but the new "big carp" flouro sounds interesting. people i trust rate it quite highly

nik saunders

Reaction score
big carp fluro never heard of it , i have i just taken some bait lol, x line i have heard good but bad , i , trouble is you never get proper review from carp mags , woulg prefer fluro , but worried about the casting side of things

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Flourocarben line, is to stiff and wirey, is ok for short to medium range casts but useless for Long Range Casting.

Berkley Big Game has stood the test of time.

Fox Soft Steel, Gardner GT80, a little more expensive, but it does depend on your budget.

Frothey

Reaction score
depends on what you mean by long range though - i can cast 17lb x-line as far as I need to with ease, which is a measured 82yds to the far bank. underfill the spools and the springyness isn't a problem.
big game is good old rope and it is underated on the spool, you can tell by diameter. too much stretch for me though.

big carp line has been championed by Rob Maylin, and quite a few people now use it. you can get the details through Big Carp magazine.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I have found the Terry Eustace Pro clear to be a great line thin but strong cast really well knots well and sinks like a stone.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but i don't think that X-Line is a flourocarbon line, it is just flouro coated.

Pro Gold is an excellent Main Line, i haven't used the Pro Clear before, but if it's as good as the Gold version, then it is sure to be a winner.

Frothey

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but i don't think that X-Line is a flourocarbon line, it is just flouro coated.

x-line is a flouro, lines like p-line and krystonite are coated ones.

what sort of range are you fishing at nik? most lines will cast more than far enough for most people so it's things like abrasion resistance/stretch that are the issue - it's only at uber ranges that line becomes a real issue.

Last edited:

nik saunders

Reaction score
cheers for that cakey
, 110 yrds is the spot i like to fish , thats where i have had most of my fish at this lake, with line that is clear in colour does it dis colour quickly and need the old baby wipe treatment alot,
i keep lookin at the pro gold in green and the pro clear and to make it even more of a nightmare been lookin at the gardner line as well, it seems that on the lake i fish i have never caught on braid hooklinks , they allways fall to fluro, thats my thinking fluro on the mainline as well as the hook length, is the pro gold or clear a good sinking line , im being a fussy so and so just wanna spool up right first time to save time and money

Cakey

Reaction score
if fluro disappears like everyone says and everyone uses it on a lake there would be lots of spooked out fish so use a nice thick green braid that all the fish can see as a just another snag and let them live in peace ................................they are already frightened shi tless of me

nik saunders

Reaction score
id loved to use braid on a mainline but where i fish lots and lots of silly rules , ie micro barbed hooks not baebeb or barbless, no korda safe zone leaders , no maggot clips , but rules are rules i surpose

Frothey

Reaction score
, it seems that on the lake i fish i have never caught on braid hooklinks

sorry, that aint going to happen. ok, people might not use them, but theres absolutely no reason they wont catch. that's going to be more of an edge if you do use them ;)

Not being able to use a "safe zone" leader is actually a sensible rule lol!

are you on about Menards? I reckon the longest cast on there (swim 7 to the island) is about 65 yards....

preston96

Reaction score
sorry, that aint going to happen. ok, people might not use them, but theres absolutely no reason they wont catch. that's going to be more of an edge if you do use them ;)

are you on about Menards? I reckon the longest cast on there (swim 7 to the island) is about 65 yards....

You can't con a Kentish man!!....or is that Man of Kent Froths? :)

nik saunders

Reaction score

not menards mate spider hall larkfield big gravel pit goes well over 30ft deep in some places and my spot is a long cast as you cant fish from one part of the lake ,menards is a under arm mate

bill2

Reaction score
Why not use a good casting line like 12lb Korda adrenaline, and use a shortish leader you think appropriate fot the water?