Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default mainline whats best, need to buy before xmas

lookin for a 12lb mono or fluro that casts like a dream good in the snags and sinks like a brick been lookin at p line fluro clear in the green or the pro clear , please dont say daiwa as i found the line good but does not last long, also been lookin at gardner gtr80, help please as i wanna spool up before xmas on those new fox reels of mine cheers

Blog Entries

be prepared for loads of different answers.

I use x-line and shimano technium, but the new "big carp" flouro sounds interesting. people i trust rate it quite highly
    You're born, you take sh*t. You get out in the world, you take more sh*t. You climb a little higher, you take less sh*t. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what sh*t even looks like. It's just a shame I'm still on the first rung!

big carp fluro never heard of it , i have i just taken some bait lol, x line i have heard good but bad , i , trouble is you never get proper review from carp mags , woulg prefer fluro , but worried about the casting side of things

Flourocarben line, is to stiff and wirey, is ok for short to medium range casts but useless for Long Range Casting.

Berkley Big Game has stood the test of time.

Fox Soft Steel, Gardner GT80, a little more expensive, but it does depend on your budget.

Blog Entries

depends on what you mean by long range though - i can cast 17lb x-line as far as I need to with ease, which is a measured 82yds to the far bank. underfill the spools and the springyness isn't a problem.
    big game is good old rope and it is underated on the spool, you can tell by diameter. too much stretch for me though.

big carp line has been championed by Rob Maylin, and quite a few people now use it. you can get the details through Big Carp magazine.
    You're born, you take sh*t. You get out in the world, you take more sh*t. You climb a little higher, you take less sh*t. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what sh*t even looks like. It's just a shame I'm still on the first rung!

I have found the Terry Eustace Pro clear to be a great line thin but strong cast really well knots well and sinks like a stone.

I might be wrong, but i don't think that X-Line is a flourocarbon line, it is just flouro coated.

Pro Gold is an excellent Main Line, i haven't used the Pro Clear before, but if it's as good as the Gold version, then it is sure to be a winner.

Daiwa Sensor Clear (clear mono)
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but obtainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Nash bullet xt smmoth,strong casts well and has never let me down.
    Exit stage left

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealph Viper View Post
    I might be wrong, but i don't think that X-Line is a flourocarbon line, it is just flouro coated.
    x-line is a flouro, lines like p-line and krystonite are coated ones.

what sort of range are you fishing at nik? most lines will cast more than far enough for most people so it's things like abrasion resistance/stretch that are the issue - it's only at uber ranges that line becomes a real issue.
    Last edited by Frothey; 23-12-2009 at 16:18.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast