Inclement weather!

bill2

Reaction score
Have just aquired a Nash 'double top pro.' bivvy, and a 5 season sleeping bag. So i really reeally wanna go fishing! I feel properly geared up for it!... or am I? Are these like an aspirin when youv'e got toothache? Is it worth carping in whitest winter, and if so, what is it that you really need to armour yourself with?

bill2

Reaction score
I know you'r right peter! But.. (and BTW i've looked into that problem and solved it! you can by frozen baits everywhere!!!)... I was hoping for some practicle advice from you good hearted folks, like.. on whether to wear either 6 or 7 pairs of socks? And is a bonfire in your bivvy necessarily a bad idea? (the arga won't fit!)

noknot

Reaction score
Hi Gill,

I would say if the water is still liquid, then you can still catch Carp, however IMO you need to look at a water that can reward your efforts! And I mean this in the nicest possible way, for me to endure freezing conditions, I would need to be in with a chance of a descent fish as it is hard work in -10c with long periods of darkness!
A good bedchair is a must, also a good ground sheet will keep down the damp from the ground, and also cooking gear for hot drinks and food, as for clothing you need layers that will trap your body warmth and water proof/ wind proof over wear to keep you dry and protected from the wind, good thermal boots and socks, if your feet get cold you will be cold allover! Spare socks, and keep them dry, you can warm them in your sleeping bag! As damp =COLD! A big old wooly hat is a must as so much heat is lost through the head.
Warm head and warm feet, you will enjoy yourself, and if you are warm and happy, then you will fish well!
Lastly the very inportant thing is to let people know where you are, and have a mobile phone with you! Winter Carp angling can be great if you get it right, but can be very dangerous if things go wrong! So plan and prepare well for your sesh and enjoy!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Gill,

A few tips:

Make sure that you have a blanket layer between your bedchair and your sleeping bag - this will be much warmer than if you put the blanket over the sleeping bag.

Don't have your bedchair set too high, set it low to the ground as the air gap between bed and ground will make you feel colder if too big.

Do take plenty of water for hot drinks, tea, coffee and hot chocolate work for me.

Most importantly, safety: ensure that you have an I.C.E. number in your mobile phone, see:

In case of emergency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bill2

Reaction score
thanks guys! i have only just learned about the I.C.E. idea, (from here!) and have allready sorted it on my Mob..! What a good idea! And i sorted myself out with good coats and stuff. However, i was going to buy some nash zero tolerance boots! the idea sounds so solid, but apparently the manufacturing leaves lotts to be desired! I can deal with cold bits here and there, but I have a problem with my feet, i can't deal with cold or wet feet at all! you guys have any recommendations? what works for you?

noknot

Reaction score
thanks guys! i have only just learned about the I.C.E. idea, (from here!) and have allready sorted it on my Mob..! What a good idea! And i sorted myself out with good coats and stuff. However, i was going to buy some nash zero tolerance boots! the idea sounds so solid, but apparently the manufacturing leaves lotts to be desired! I can deal with cold bits here and there, but I have a problem with my feet, i can't deal with cold or wet feet at all! you guys have any recommendations? what works for you?

The old Boom 80's were very good, a waterproof moon boot, Buy spare liners too, Don't know if you can still buy them? Skeetex are another that people like, never tried them myself so I can't comment.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've tried all the purpose designed thermal boots but the warmest footwear I've yet found are Muckboot wellies.Worn with a decent sock these are brilliant. Haven't had cold feet since I bought them and with neoprene tops really comfortable.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Derri neptune boots easy to walk in and have kept my feet toasty.They use to be £50 now you can get them for as little as £29.99

slime monster

Reaction score
I bought thermal wellies on mail order ,they are warm BUT I should have read the ad closer I now have RON THOMPSON blazoned across the top of the boots.
can anyone tell me how to get the damn things off without pulling ones socks off .

nik saunders

Reaction score
dont wear to many socks as ya feet will sweat and that will give ya cold feet, and dont wear too many layers in ya sleeping bag as its best to put more layers on when you get up in the morning.

bigbass

Reaction score
Hi gill Heres 2 more take a hot water bottle and between your bedchair and bag place one of them camping mats. Both are light and take up little room.
Good luck.

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
I used thermal mats under the sleeping bag, they do a great job, too. I now have a sleeping bag from the armenian Army, in which they sleep on the snow (i don´t)

Place your tackle bag, etc. under the bedchair, they will keep the radiating cold away, too.

Then, what i have found, works well for me is: I use a big plastic bag in which i slip into with the boots on (or slippers), so i can get to the rods without having to bother about putting on the shoes first. Let it be wide and lose though, otherwise you will be likely to tangle up in it, when you are heading for the rods in the middle of the night.

And i use the plastic bag, because that can get dirty and a bit damp, the sleeping bag shouldn´t ;)

Hmmmh, that´s all i can think about now, the other things have been posted already.

Try your gear in the garden (shelter, bedchair and all), though, it may be too late, when you are at the lake. By doing this you can still get inside in the middle of the night, when you get cold.

GertR

Reaction score
I have struggled threw this Winter with Cold feet.

I have some of the Boots mentioned in this thread, actually I complained and one of the Companies replaced my Boots but still struggling.

Only option now left is to look towards some real mountain hiking socks next winter, reckon hopefully the worst of this winter is over.

However I would like to ask you guys about the things you put between the bedchiar and your bag, would this be neccassary with all bedchairs, I have a Nash Indulgence however I never went out with it as yet.?

This whole winter I slept on my Chair LOL, inside the brolly.

Then great tip regarding the bags for when running to the rods, will remember that one once I start sleeping on the bedchair.

Found that a Cup of Tea makes me feel a whole lot warmer on the bank, never leave home without it.

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
Are you sure your boots are a half size larger than your regular boots ?
They have to be, because of the space needed for the thicker socks.

It´s not that i am very easily cooled out, but it is essential that you use some of that advice, or at least take precautions (you can leave that stuff in the car for when you need it)

The bedchair will probably get damp at some point (just your breath at night will see to that) and even the best sleeping bag will get a little damp, too. Just believe us, you will find out what we mean soon enough.

I have an Armenian Army Sleeping bag made for sleeping in the sonw (waterproof, made for temperatures of -20°C and less) but i wouldn´t take chances and always bring my thermal mat with me. Fold it up into the bedchair before you go, so there is no extra space you are taking u for that)

EDIT:

See, that the socks are not too tight, either, otherwise they will prevent the blood flowing through your veins :!:

Last edited:

GertR

Reaction score
Tilman Bieselt thank you for the good advice here.

The Thermal mats you are referring too, do you maybe have a link where I can take a look at it.

Regarding the Boots they are half a size bigger, have to give attention to this aspect of my night fishing as there is no way that I can take another winter like this with such cold feet, literally some mornings 1/2 ' clock my feet were frozen, and I had to keep moving them to make sure I do not maybe loose toe's or something like that.

Reaction score
I've tried all sorts for cold feet - various brands of skiing/hiking socks, neoprene socks, heated insoles. I have a pair of thermal wellies which are great for keeping your feet warm but rubbish for walking in.

I finally found the answer. A thin pair of silk thermal socks under the thick socks. They look like they would make no difference at all but they really do make a massive difference. I've not had cold feet once this winter.

I can't remember the brand name but I got them from HM suplies. They were described as silk thermal socks and cost about a tenner. I can highly recommend them.