Cat food

J

John Hawkins

Trying out the Coshida cat food recently on my local haunt - however had extreme difficulties keeping it on the hook when casting! The carp loved it over a bed of frenzied hemp - the water was boiling but getting it to them was difficult. Tried hair rigging it using a piece of grass as a bait stop. Tried putting it directly on the hook. Help!!

M

MALC DOYLE

With Coshida the best one for casting as it's slightly tougher is the type in Jelly not Gravy and the best flavour for toughness is the Beef.

And a totaly different brand is even better which is the Vitacat brand from Aldi it's a lot tougher and also got a stronger flavour.

With the Vitacat i've never had any problems casting a bait upto 70yds on a hair.

R

Rodney Wrestt

John,
Try putting it in the fridge overnight and keep it in a coolbag, only taking out what you need for short periods at a time.

C

Chrisx Ess

Try Asda 'Tiger', lamb and rabbit flavour (about 30p each). Most pieces stay on very well, though some go, of course. I often hair rig 3 or 4 at a time. Sometimes I use it in a hair riggeed cocktail - a trigga boilie, a dog biscuit or two (also Asda) and the lamb'n'rabbit. I drain off the sludge to use in the feeder. Yes, I do catch using the cocktail - best so far, a 5lb tench. just to finish off the advert for Asda, I use their sweetcorn too...

S

Simon Bridges

John,
Had the very same problem.Rodney's advice re:keep it cold is a good one. I have started to use Felix in jelly as this seems a lot tougher than the rest.Its worth leaving exposed for a while as well to develop a slightly'crusty' apearance which helps considerably and does not seem to affect bites.

W

william cowen

try bakers, its superb and the carp go radged for it....

R

Robert Draper

Has anyone tried making a dog/cat food paste. I had trouble casting meat when I needed to fish the far bank recently and I found that an emergency paste of meat, jelly and ordinary white crumb carefully moulded around a hair rigged chunk caught me a couple of low doubles.