Probably a dumb question but....

S

Shrek

If I am tying my own rigs, using a knotless knot (or anything else for that matter), how do you tie a loop small enough to hold a hair stop? From ready tied rigs that I've seen, it seems almost impossible to tie using your fingers.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it's a large loop providing the 'hair' that lies between the bait and the hook is a single strand. And it doesn't matter too much if it's a loop (double strand) all the way from the hook to the stop.

If you want a small loop then tie a big one and then tease it down to a small one with the hair needle. Or buy one of those little gizmos from Gardner that tie small loops:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=839>Get Knotted</A>.

C

Chris Betts

Why do you want a small loop. I tie mine about 10mm long. As long as its all in the bait then I am OK with it. Besides its easier to get the hair stop in a bigger loop.

S

Shrek

I suppose, being new to this whole area of hair rigged baits, I am in the dark somewhat as to how the whole thing fits together.

Do I therefore understand that the process, for a standard hair rig say, is as follows:

1. Push your baiting needle through whatever you are using for bait
2. Hook the hairstop loop with the needle and draw back through the bait
3. Repeat this for however many rigged baits you are putting on the hair.
4. Once you've put all these on, you put the stop into the loop.
5. You then slide the hair rigged baits back down the hair till they hit the stop.

Sorry if this is really basic stuff, it's just that I've never used them before and want to get this right.

Adrian.

R

Rob Stubbs

Adrian,
That sounds exactly like I do it. I assume you tie the hair loop 'before' tying to the hook ? If not then doing so will ensure the hair is the perfect length.

Rob.

C

Carp Angler

Sounds perfect to me Adrian.

Have a look at the Question of carp series and if you have any questions, mail Stuart or Graham to get them answered to a more in-depth level.

C

Cakey

Big loops with my eyes is a must,but Ive seen Stuart using a little gizmo that ties nice sized loops, very easy, have word with him.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's the same Gardner Gizmo I mentioned above Cakey.

R

Ron Clay

Hair rigging fair sized lumps of meat and other soft baits can be a problem. Other than cutting an extra long boilie stop or using a bit of grass, anyone any other ideas?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Try this one Ron:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=1301>Meatball Rig</A>.

C

Cakey

Graham
you can send Ron my rig to try if you like,I'd love some feed back.

R

Ron Clay

Thanks Graham, I have two cans of Campbells Meat Balls in the kitchen cupboard. I'll try them on the Trent barbel this weekend.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Cakey, sorry mate, but what's it called, do I have pictures of it and did I use it on the site? I can remember something you sent to me but can't remember anything else. Bloody old age! Just remind me please.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ron,
for big bits of meat try using a bayonet on the hair made from doubled and twisted fuse wire, pass it through the meat then bend it into a 'U' shape and push it back in, no need for baiting needles and it is very quick.

S

Shrek

Just to say thanks for all the help on this post. Sat at home last night and tied up some knotless knot rigs as practice. They turned out so well I will be using them for real.

Cheers guys.

C

Chrisx Ess

I saw this method described in a magazine a few months ago. It works well. Just shove a piece of rig tube through your meat, pass the hair rig through the tube, then put in your stop. The tube needs to be about the same length as the thickness of the lump of meat. It's designed to be cast a reasonable distance, but don't expect too much!

C

Chrisx Ess

I should have pointed out that I meant luncheon meat or similar.