Making your own baits,

bill2

Reaction score
I really like the idea of making up my own baits - boilies actually, but it's a really daunting prospect. I really don't know where to begin! There's so much stuff out there that it just knots up my head and makes my eyes bleed! Recently I've been using mainlines cell and have done really well with it, but soon i'll be joining a club water and have decided i want to do some serious pre-baiting. With cell costing £11 a kilo however, i just cant afford to! Would really appreciate any info into what basic principles and ingredients in homemade boilies i should take stock of, and also what thoughts you have about baits in general?

richiekelly

Reaction score
it all depends on how deep you want to go into baits, i would suggest that to start simple would be the way to go for a start with baits containing semolna,soya flour (i like to use full fat ) and fish meals,i dont think there are any baits out there that do not contain semo or soya or both,they are good ingredients to use as a base and add whatever you fancy to them , shrimp meal is a good additive but if you use to much your baits will float,hemaglobin is also good it will darken your baits and make them harder,i am sure that if you look on the web you will find recipes for baits to start you off that you will be able to addapt to what you need, one thing id sure making your own will be a lot cheaper than buying readymade baits that cost a fortune and often catch more anglers than fish, many years ago (when i had hair ) i got into the technical side of baits in a big way and was always searching for the magic ingredient which of course does not exist,during this period i think my catches dropped because i was relying more on bait than my angling knowledge i finaly realised this and went back to more simple baits that i knew worked and forgot mostly about messing about with baits to much unless it was just to tweek a bait to suit the water i was fishing ie lighter baits for silty waters i still use simple recipes today and still catch my fair share,good luck with your prebaiting and bait making.

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Yeah the link from Tilman is a good one. Also finely ground Vitalin can be used to bulk out more expensive ingredients (up to 50%) although this is reletively low protein it takes flavours very well and, perhaps more importantly the fish love it. Also try AA baits, I have used these for a while now with good service and advice.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Tilman, if you can find a supplier it's the "vitalin original" that you want. you can use it as it comes, soak in pref. hot water to make method/ ground bait. Or grind to a flour to make paste or to add to boilie mix. It is a little sticky, but once it's stood for a while this goes.

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
I will see what i can do. Thanks again for this hint.

Another thing, which is not used over here and which i will give try (if i can get it) is Tares.
We have an agricultural supplier, which i hope, can order some 25 Kgs for a reasonable price (about 40 €)

I am quite confident to feed a good deal of particles along with the flavour of the boilies i will use. I didn´t have any bream in the last water i fished and the roach were even too small to seriously get too much maize and as far as i know, the next water will have no bream, either (lucky me ;) )

quickcedo

Reaction score
Pigeon conditioner. Soak in boiling water over night (in a cool box). best particle mix going.

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
Yeah, i have used that in the past. It´s good mix of seeds. I have used the mix without the maize, as i thought the carp already got ise about it. I just hadn´t got the right kind of water in front of me to test it over a longer period.

I can get 25 Kg of maize for 6€ , pigeon conditioner comes good deal ore expensive, but i will gie it another go, when maize fails in the new water (which is hard to imagine, as it is not fished very hard for carp)

bill2

Reaction score
I read a book by Paul Selman, I think it was him?, and he reckoned that after hemp, groats were the next best parti? never seen or heard of them tho. ??

quickcedo

Reaction score
Groats - The hulled grains of cereals (var) i.e. Oats, Wheat and Barley. Usually sold seperately but can be a mixture.