Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lead core rigs

steve southwick Guest

what is the safest way to use leadcore
    when making a rig up SO that it does
    not become a tether rig any advice would be very helpful
    cheers

stu black Guest

I asked this question a couple of months ago Steve. I didnt get any answers that time but i did a search for "leadcore" and found a good thread on it. Helicopter rigs seemed to be the safest suggestion but since then ive been using backleads and slacker lines and i've found that's helped increase the number of bites.
    hope this helps,

Stu

steve southwick Guest

thanks stu i will try that i just thought i would try the leadcore as it is some thing different on the lake i fish the carp are getting a bit tricky anyway
    thanks again

Cakey Guest

Are you talking about the hooklength or are you talking about a couple of feet after the rig??

steve southwick Guest

iam not quite sure would you make the rig out of leadcore

Mark Spod Guest

DONT MAKE YOUR RIG OUT OF LEADCORE!!
    The easiest way to uterlise leadcore (especially if your new to using it) is to buy either Nash Limpets or something similar (Fox and Mainline are almost the same) the beauty of these are you simply attach them to the rigs swivel as you would a ready tied hook link to line (just in case you don't know how to do this there are instructions with these packs)and join onto your main line using a parlor knot,then ensure your lead can safely pass over the ajoining knot incase of a snap off. Once cast out do not tighten your line too much otherwise you will simply pull the leadcore up of the lake bed, thus defeating the object of using it. If you are not confident you can safely fish using leadcore try useing flying back leads instead.

Carp Angler Guest

I've been experimenting with helicopter leadcore rigs recently and I'll publish an article about it soon.
    It is certainly the safest way of using leadcore leaders, IF you set it up properly.

Mark,
    Why can't you make rigs from leadcore?

Chris Betts Guest

I used leadcore for about two seasons as a leader. I gave up on it and went back to tube with a blob of heavy metal on the end. I found with leadcore that is does not like snags or heavy weed. Much to my cost. The best way to use it in my opinion is leave it in the packet, and get it out of your rucksack occasionally to remind you that fish welfare comes first.

steve southwick Guest

ok thanks fellas i will wait for riks
    article on the subject be fore i use it
    thanks again

Mark Spod Guest

Carp Angler
    If youve ever caught fish using a leadcore leader I've no doubt youv'e seen on occassions that if the fish rolls on the leadcore it has quite severe red marks on its flanks, imagine what would happen if your rig was made of leadcore. I actually spoke to Julian Cundiff about this a couple of years ago and at the time he said he did agree, but if we worried to much about hurting the fish then where do you draw the line ie does the hook hurt it, what stress is it under when hooked etc, However, I noted in a recent article he has now stopped using leadcore because of damage he has seen it cause fish, and now prefers to use tubing and flying back leads. At the end of the day we all have to use what we think is best, but I would hope if after using leadcore you start to notice damage to the Carps flanks which you weren't seeing before you would reconsider.
    Tight lines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast