BUILDING YOUR OWN BAITBOAT

J

Jon Read

hi

i am thiking of building my own baitboat.is it possibble?
how much would it cost?
anyone else tried?

B

Buttocks Bullard

All I would say is that I noticed someone paid ?650 for a bait boat on a previous thread, and I reckoned you could make one for a sixth of the price. This was based on my late fathers passion for radio controlled boats, and he made ones that were far more complex for a fraction of the price (for example a fully rigged sailing boat which required at least 5 servo's to pull rigging in different directions).

Like anything though, the real cost is in the time.

A

Andy Wiles

yes you can.
mine cost be a total of about ?150
the radio was the most expensive think at ?100.
email me if u want details

S

Steve Shaw

I built my own from the plans at the link posted by Gary, Cost about ?130 using a three-channel remote. I few modifications where made.

The hoppers were operated by 2 wires exiting the hull directly under them and running through two plastic tubes angled upwards sealed to the hull to stop water penetration The servo was mounted on the underside of the hopper. Hopper doors hinged at the rear

A micro switch was fitted operated from the rudder to switch on and off a front mounted light with an external isolation switch. Front light was later changed to two Ultra bright LED, s

Front green and red rear LED, s added for night running.

Motor needed to be well packed to prevent vibration and sealed with loads of sealant all round otherwise it works loose

The boat runs very well, hoppers have never failed to drop. Solar charger ?10 from Ebay puts a little charge back into the batteries, If I ever made another I would consider cutting the size down by at least a third and maybe only having one hopper.

Steve S

Gary Smiles

Reaction score
Have just finished building my own bait boat I bought the hull for ?26 off ebay
and modded that. It has a smartcast fish
finder fitted in the hull modded for extra range it also has a camera mounted in the hull and a 800,000 candle powered light
also mounted in the hull the two hoppers
are independently operatet from remote
and so is the light underneath the hull.
I use a 6 channel transmitter.

Have also fitted spotlight at front and led,s front and back. Runs from a 6volt
12amp lead acid battery but can also run from 7.2 volt nicads it has a high power low drain motor. Am going to change the one lead acid battery to two 6.volts and
make a switch so I can change from running the two batterys in parallel (ie 6 volts)
or in series (ie 12 volts boat will run faster but batteries wont last as long.

Here is a couple of pics of it if you want to check it out
www.gs69.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/baitboat1.jpg
www.gs69.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/baitboat2.jpg

S

Stuart Harvey

Love the boat Gary, that is awesome. How much did it it cost in total?

L

Little Stu!

I've got to take my hat off to you all but I do feel you've got to have a head for electronics to get as far as you lot have.

love it

Gary Smiles

Reaction score
The main cost of the boat was the transmitter which was ?130 and the smartcast ?200 all the rest was pretty cheap. Hull ?26 speed controller ?21
motor ?9 plywood for making deck nowt
as I work in a timber yard :) switches
and stuff from maplans ?1 or ?2 each
battery ?11
Weed guard a bird feeder that I cut up
?2
hoppers made out of paint roller trays
just used the bit you dip the roller in
cut at a angle 59 pence each from the diy
section in my work :)
prop and rudder about ?10
propshaft ?6
Most of the stuff you need to make a basic boat is pretty cheap its the transmitter that is costly but look on ebay you may pick one up cheap plus I bought a 6 channel to give me more operating options
a 3 or 4 channel would be cheaper
Good luck if your gonna attempt one
cya

L

Little Stu!

I calculate that to around ?425 does that seem right Gary?

Gary Smiles

Reaction score
Yea seems about right but as I said a basic one without smartcast and cheaper transmitter would be a lot less

carp_hunter

Reaction score
hi andy really interested in making my own bait boat and just wondered if you could send me the plans or info on how to start, i've got a few ideas but unsure of what materials to use to put it all together. any help would be much appreciated, Dave....

Hi to all members !!!!!!!!

Last edited:

carpman3kane

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post as Iv just joined :)

I am going to attempt to build my own bait boat for three reasons.

1) I want a boat that I can look at and say, "I built that". Self satisfaction from building my own.
2) After researching ready-made bait boats and reviewing the prices attached, I feel that they are very over priced.
3) I need a little project to work on.

I modded my old Crystal X-box about 7 (ish) years ago and found it great fun installing LED components, Blue-flashing fan, etc etc by simply following online instructions, albeit electrically trained. But don't let this put you of attempting to build one yourself. Just be prepared to set aside some time as opposed to just walking into a shop and buying one.

Each to their own, of course. But I like the idea of saving myself a few quid and knowing I built it. And of course there is the issue of 'looking the part' on the banks with a lovely shiny Viper bait boat Mk245... but I dont really care what anyone else thinks, so long as it does the job and doesn't make any noise disturbance to surrounding anglers, it'll do me fine.

If someone could PM me some info, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Tight lines ;)

fongy74

Reaction score
;55495 said:
i am thiking of building my own baitboat.is it possibble?
how much would it cost?
anyone else tried?

After seeing the price of bait boats it's hardly any wonder you might be thinking of building one yourself,i actualy bought one in the end brand new and purpose built for £99.00,yes £99.00 from badger fishing tackle,it may not be as advanced as the ones you see for £700 but it's a great entry level tool and it gets the job done.Also before i got the badger bait boat i was using a remote control boat with my spod rod and taking heavily loaded pva bags out to my spot then pull them back off the boat and this also got the job done,the boat i used was £35 from Maplins i was baiting my plot and getting the hookbait out with precision everytime,just goes to show with a bit of improvisation you don't have to spend nowhere near nearly a grand on a bait boat,good luck anyway.
Her's a link for the badger bait boat.

http://www.ultimate-direct.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=193&CAT_ID=194&P_ID=310

---------- Post added at 07:50 ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 ----------

;55799 said:
All I would say is that I noticed someone paid �650 for a bait boat on a previous thread, and I reckoned you could make one for a sixth of the price. This was based on my late fathers passion for radio controlled boats, and he made ones that were far more complex for a fraction of the price (for example a fully rigged sailing boat which required at least 5 servo's to pull rigging in different directions).

Youre absolutely right,infact you can buy a purpose built baitboat for £99.00,i know you wouldn't have the satisfaction of building the machine yourself but i expect the purpose of building a boat at home would be to save money,here's the link anyway.

Bandit Bait boat --- Ultimate Direct Factory Outlet Store

Last edited:

johnbaz

Reaction score
Hmmm

I have a two channel boat that I made a few years ago..

I'm thinking that I could make a paddle that that trails behind the boat and holds a sear to keep a hopper closed and when the boat is where it needs to be, reverse and the paddle will travel towards the boat and trip the hopper!

This way a two channel radio would do the job..

rcb1.jpg

The boat is around 24" long and 9" across and was made from plans in a library book, I just doubled the dim's...

I also have a hull in the loft which might make the basis of a bait boat..
rcb2.jpg

S'ppose I could convert this to a dive bomber for a bit more fun :eek:
rcp2.jpg

Or this one!!
rcp4.jpg

Ermmm, it's getting a bit daft now :wh
rcp6.jpg

Crumbs- there's some carp up there!!!:rolleyes:

John :)

BOF39

Reaction score
To quote the TV chef, "here's one I made earlier":-

DSCF0005_edited.jpg

DSCF0002_edited.jpg

The rear hopper is operated by adding a short length of wire to the rudder arm and taking it out through the hull. This holds shut the hopper door till you turn hard left or right. Then you flick the trim tab which allows that extra movement sufficient to drop the door.

DSCF0004_edited.jpg

Note the wire protruding under the hopper door to hold it shut.

Your hull should be a snip to convert to this method of bait delivery Johnbaz.

By the way mine is a two chanel radio as well.

BOF