Penudulum casting

C

Chris Isaacs

Usually associated with sea anglers this method of casting can apparently get you an extra 30-40 yards. I have tried it a couple of times but i always seems to cast to the right until someone explained that you need to stand at an angle. He didnt know why, just that i needed to stand at and angle. Does anyone know why? Also the usual anti tangle rigs seem to have a problem with this method . Does anyone have an extra anti tangle setup that will solve this problem when using this type of cast?

T

The Monk

I've seen a video with Tim Paisley and a sea angler demonstrating this, I'll try to dig out the title?

D

Dave Rothery

Hope your well insured if you crack off - remember it can go parralell to the bank. try the unitech cast-much safer and much easier to master.

David Preston

Reaction score
The main reason the cast leaks to the right (for a right-handed caster, at least) is that the caster doesn't carry through what he has started. You feel the rod loading up, and chicken out! That's not a criticism of you, Chris, we all do it sometimes.
You've got to keep the rod going up over your right shoulder and bring your left hand down and toward your body, so that the direction of the cast becomes the same as that from an overhead cast.
It's just that you aren't used to the feeling of the rod compressing so much, over the longer arc, that causes the early (low and to the right) release.
Very difficult to describe what's going on in a few words.

S

stu black

What sort of distances do you reach anyway Chris?

In an article I read recently Frank Warwick says 140 yds is an average cast! I know i dont get near that!!! (but I'm practising.)

Long casting is a decent addition to anyones armoury where necessary.

has anyone got any tips for an improveer?

T

The Monk

Frank is an unusually good caster, 140 yards is not an average cast!

C

Chris Isaacs

I dont know how much further i can cast using this method as i usually only do this when on my local water which is just a large open pit without any islands etc. There are a couple of bouys which i fish to. On a usual overhead cast i can reach the bouy. Using the pendulum i can usually get 20 yards or so past it. What is the unitech cast Dave Rothery?

D

Dave Rothery

also known as the "Brighton" style. I learnt it fishing some of the Kent piers where pendulum would be lethal. Also good for enclosed swims.
Basically, its an overhead thump. I leave a 6ft ish(i use 13ft rods) drop to the lead, and the lead is placed between you and the tip ring, with the line tight to the lead. I put it on a plate if theres a lot of grass etc on the ground (grass - remember that in the swim!!). the rod is held in the classic "javelin" position, ie butt up, tip low, with you leaning back. transfer your weight to the front foot, pull in the bottom arm (this is what generates the power) and released at 45deg. easy!!. The advantage of this cast is that the rod is instantly compressed as the cast starts, and its quite easy to get the timing, and direction right - also, its much easier to learn than the pendulum cast, though optimumly 15-20yds shorter (on a 200yd cast - apparently). When i used to do a lot of long-range fishing I could hit (measured) 160yds with bait, but I doubt it now!!- though i did fish Linear Manor recently, and could fish "The Arena" which is about 140.
Other tip......buy a boat!!

C

Carp Angler

I thought the back of the Arena was 147 yds.

The best thing to do in that swim, is to put the lead behind into the gravel and then inch it back into the water.

Helicopter rig, big lead and a short, stiff pop-up rig.

Sorted.......

C

Carp Angler

Funnier that I caught most of my fish at 3 to 5 yards.

The thing is, you can't ignore all those fish cruising around in the Arena, it would be foolish not to put a bait to them.

Probably fished that swim 5 or 6 times, but only ever had 2 fish on the far rod.

R

Rob Stubbs

I would suggest that the pendulum cast is not appropriate for carp fishing. It is an extremely powerful method of casting and most carp rods can't take that kind of force - pick up a proper sea fishing rod (eg Ziplex) and you'll see what I mean. Not only do you need an awful lot of flat bank space, you also need shock leader in the 40-50lb bs range to protect against crack offs - which are lethal.

Rob.

T

The Monk

Actually Rob, I can remember a lad who used to fish the Roman Lakes in the 70's "Long Cast Harry" he used to pendulum cast using pike rods and multipiers, saw him snap off a few times, first time he took a tree out then I heard he put an hole in a car on the road opposite and last I heard he sank a rowing boat and got threw off, he sure caught plenty of carp though?

G

Gary Powell

Any of the sea vids with john holden in them should tell you all you need to know about the pendulum cast
GARY

B

Brett Chilvers

I fished the manor, it was one of those hot july days and i had been casting as close to the arena as i could get, it was short of it and i started to think it was my rods and reels, line, etc. Frank Warick was fishimg next to me and heard me cursing my rods witch i had not long purchased (nash pursuits 2.75tc 12 ft).He offered to have a go, and with 1 cast he put my bait within 1 foot off the gravel in the back of the arena, and after about 20 mins off it went ,thats the difference a few yards can make on a cast.

D

Dave Rothery

No substitute for technique! Its interesting if you sit on the right hand bank at manor just how short most people cast. Makes a mockery of these people that claim 130yds with stringer, then cant hit arena with a single bait. Harefield was the same - very few people could REALLY hit the big casts (and i'm not one of them!!). Fish to your strengths, and its suprising how many fish you find in the margins.....

R

Rodney Wrestt

I would think that many people do have 130yrds of line leave the reel on the cast, unfortunetly a lot of it is upwards and in the arc of the cast and it is then reeled back onto the spool when tightening up.

I

ian jay

The world's single-handed fly casting record of 133 ft was established by Walter Mansfield in 1899, and held for 35 years to 1934. Not sure what it is now.

In 1938, Primo Livenais used a Winston surf rod to break the world record with a 623 foot cast.

I believe that world record now stands at in excess of 300 meters?

R

Rob Brownfield

Just a wee note...the proper unitech is actually an off the ground pendulum cast.

Hard to describe in words..but i will try.

Stand as if you are going to do an overhead cast...now, swing your body round so you are facing away from where you want to cast to. For a 12 foot rod, have about a 7 foot drop...now..swing the lead away from you..then back towards you, making sure the lead passes to the right of you. As it does, lower the tip so the lead lands on the deck. You can also place it there when you get used to it. Now, lift your left hand, almost straight up, look towards where you want to cast with your head only, keeping your shoulders pointing away from the water. Keep the rod tip a ffot from the ground, and the line tight to the lead, which is "inside the arc of the rod. Now, rotate your shoulders and bring your left arm down whilst punching up with your right....it will come naturally...and Zinnnnnggggg...off goes the lead. As you get more used to it, you can rotate the body further round for more power.

With a 5 oz lead an a proper rod (Zziplex) I hit a measured 180 yards with lead only. Knock of 20-30 yards for bait added.

Remember..always use a shock leade of 10 pounds per ounce of lead...so, 5 oz lead, minimum of 50 pound shock leader!!!..and NEVER try this or the pendulum on crowded waters...it can kill!!!