Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chris Isaacs Guest

Usually associated with sea anglers this method of casting can apparently get you an extra 30-40 yards. I have tried it a couple of times but i always seems to cast to the right until someone explained that you need to stand at an angle. He didnt know why, just that i needed to stand at and angle. Does anyone know why? Also the usual anti tangle rigs seem to have a problem with this method . Does anyone have an extra anti tangle setup that will solve this problem when using this type of cast?

The Monk Guest

I've seen a video with Tim Paisley and a sea angler demonstrating this, I'll try to dig out the title?

Dave Rothery Guest

Hope your well insured if you crack off - remember it can go parralell to the bank. try the unitech cast-much safer and much easier to master.

The main reason the cast leaks to the right (for a right-handed caster, at least) is that the caster doesn't carry through what he has started. You feel the rod loading up, and chicken out! That's not a criticism of you, Chris, we all do it sometimes.
    You've got to keep the rod going up over your right shoulder and bring your left hand down and toward your body, so that the direction of the cast becomes the same as that from an overhead cast.
    It's just that you aren't used to the feeling of the rod compressing so much, over the longer arc, that causes the early (low and to the right) release.
    Very difficult to describe what's going on in a few words.

stu black Guest

What sort of distances do you reach anyway Chris?

In an article I read recently Frank Warwick says 140 yds is an average cast! I know i dont get near that!!! (but I'm practising.)

Long casting is a decent addition to anyones armoury where necessary.

has anyone got any tips for an improveer?

The Monk Guest

Frank is an unusually good caster, 140 yards is not an average cast!

Chris Isaacs Guest

I dont know how much further i can cast using this method as i usually only do this when on my local water which is just a large open pit without any islands etc. There are a couple of bouys which i fish to. On a usual overhead cast i can reach the bouy. Using the pendulum i can usually get 20 yards or so past it. What is the unitech cast Dave Rothery?

Dave Rothery Guest

also known as the "Brighton" style. I learnt it fishing some of the Kent piers where pendulum would be lethal. Also good for enclosed swims.
    Basically, its an overhead thump. I leave a 6ft ish(i use 13ft rods) drop to the lead, and the lead is placed between you and the tip ring, with the line tight to the lead. I put it on a plate if theres a lot of grass etc on the ground (grass - remember that in the swim!!). the rod is held in the classic "javelin" position, ie butt up, tip low, with you leaning back. transfer your weight to the front foot, pull in the bottom arm (this is what generates the power) and released at 45deg. easy!!. The advantage of this cast is that the rod is instantly compressed as the cast starts, and its quite easy to get the timing, and direction right - also, its much easier to learn than the pendulum cast, though optimumly 15-20yds shorter (on a 200yd cast - apparently). When i used to do a lot of long-range fishing I could hit (measured) 160yds with bait, but I doubt it now!!- though i did fish Linear Manor recently, and could fish "The Arena" which is about 140.
    Other tip......buy a boat!!

Carp Angler Guest

I thought the back of the Arena was 147 yds.

The best thing to do in that swim, is to put the lead behind into the gravel and then inch it back into the water.

Helicopter rig, big lead and a short, stiff pop-up rig.

Sorted.......

Dave Rothery Guest

funny i caught all the fish at 30 and 50yds though!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast