Black Pudding as Bait?

Lardybloke

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used black pudding as bait for carp? Would the scent be of blood and if so are carp likely to go for it?

Just curious

Cheers

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
There was a guy in the mags last year caught a big barbel on black pudding. that 21lb+ one, that had no witnesses but was considered genuine given where it was from, oldish guy caught it in middle of night.

i see no reason why it wouldn't transfer to carp. tried it once myself, blanked. but no one had any bites that day on the whole pond, so i don't believe it was the bait.

Edit: it was chris mack, who caught "The Beast" from the wensum at 21lb 2oz on a lump of black pudding

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Yes, it does work, not only for carp, tench take it too. And, one old timer told me year's ago, that it was a perch bait par excellence.
But if you're like me, take plenty, 'cos i'm fond of it myself.

jcp01

Reaction score
I hooked and lost one of the Wark's Avon's big barbel on a pellet wrapped in a fistful of raw black pudding - used raw it breaks down in water over time leaving the pellet in a mound of groundbait in still waters or releasing a trail of attractant in moving water. Different brands break down in different ways depending upon the grease content. Used cooked it won't break down of course.

It seems anything that carp like, barbel like too, so I can't see why it won't work the other way around.

noknot

Reaction score
Never tried it as a bait, but why not? It is full of fat and oils, just like thw bisto trail for us, Mmmmmmmmmmmm Bisto!;)

bill2

Reaction score
Nice idea! A small arma mesh bag of it on the hooklink should work. I haven't tried it, but i'm fairly sure it could also be easily kneeded into a paste to wrap around the hook and bait to add extra attraction and help avoid tangles on the cast as well. It is quite fatty however and might work better in the warmer months?

jcp01

Reaction score
i'm fairly sure it could also be easily kneeded into a paste to wrap around the hook and bait

You do have to kneed the stuff into a paste. I try it out in a glass of tap water (which should be at roughly the same temp as the water you intend to fish) at home to see how quickly it breaks down.

richiekelly

Reaction score
You do have to kneed the stuff into a paste. I try it out in a glass of tap water (which should be at roughly the same temp as the water you intend to fish) at home to see how quickly it breaks down.

does it have to be mixed with anything else to make paste with it ?

jcp01

Reaction score
No, it just needs to be kneaded between the fingers for a while so that the white fat lumps get incorporated properly. You could put it through a blender I suppose but I just purchase a chub and cut a slice off on the bank - it lasts ages kept in the plastic chub bag

Here's some cheap stuff from my local Londis wrapped around a halibut pellet ~
P1100027.JPG

This was made up as a hookbait (for chub) and is made of really cheap and greasy stuff from Londis that won't break down in the water. The genuine Bury pudding mentioned will break down quite quickly as I suppose it has a higher blood /fat ratio.

There's loads of room for experimentation too ~ Black pudding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia