What can we learn from this video?

Frothey

Reaction score
That line looked thick for 4lb....?

TBH if I was fishing a drain like that I'd use my 6ft stalking rods, the rods they are using are ideal as they bend to the butt - but I'd use heavier line 8lb, I just can't see the point of using 4lb line....

The fly tackle is probably ideal too.

BarryC

Reaction score
Firstly the youngster says it was his first carp and biggest freshwater fish so seems likely he was'nt fishing specificaly for carp.
Although not a very big peice of water it certainly appeared to have its fair share of snags. All in all I recon that lad done a splendid job of landing and releasing that fish with his limited tackle.

What can we learn?

For some time now I have been of the opinion that most U.K. youngsters fishing for carp are more concerned about being carp anglers than they are catching carp. The times I have seen them sitting behind their rods with bolt rigged boilies telling me that its pointless today cos all the fish are on the top. Well hello.

Ime afraid that with just a few variations of end tackle most young carp anglers in this country only know one way to fish for carp.

jcp01

Reaction score
These kids are 'me' at fourteen. That would be 1976, before the hair rig.

Any carp, any size, was really something back then...

What we can learn is a little humility, I'd guess.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
And don't let a flyfishing crappy-angler anywhere near you when you are trying to play a carp?

quickcedo

Reaction score
OMG. That looked fun, is fishing supposed to be fun? I thought unless I had a matching 3 rod setup with matching alarms and cammo underware I wasn't allowed to fish esp for Carp. And where was the Bivvi?

noknot

Reaction score
As an old skool Carp duffer, I would say the lad had great sport! However I can't see the justice in playing a Carp of 10lbs for 20 mins.

So what have I leant, well nothing! But it just goes to show you need the tools for the job! IMHO a 1.5 tc rod and 8lbs bs Line would be better, also a carp friendly net and a mat would be nice too!

Having said that, the young man was in awe of his first Carp, that takes me back a few decades, and he looked after the fish too, which is admirable, OK not in the right way with all the gear we have, but he did it, and I enjoyed it!:w

bill2

Reaction score
My abiding impression was that of an eager young angler fishing in what is patently a disheartening backwater. I personally found it quite uplifting in that despite of what i assumed his general enviroment to be, he was well aware of what his tackles limits were, made do with what he had, and I felt that he showed awareness and skill in how he handled the whole experience and perhaps more importantly in how he regarded his catch. He wanted that fish to 'be well'. Intent is the only truely good thing we have.

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
I have learned to weigh my fish with the net in the future to get more doubles :D

In earnest: I liked the video. I guess he made the best of the afternoon and especially in that water. He probably couldn´t go to a bigger river or lake, so went to the drain in front of his door.

He handled the fish with the most possible care and even put on what looked like plastic gloves, which is a thing i will keep in mind (it probably will harm the fish much less, than handling them with your bare hands)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've forgotten. What was the video about?

Doh!

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

I remember.

People banging on these days about must use strong tackle, heavy line, big carp nets, huge unhooking mats, Klin-ik lotion (although it is good), wear all camo, forceps, lar-de-dar....

These kids go out and catch a nice little carp, none of that and what harm came to the carp? No harm.

All that I would say is - 20 mins is the maximum you should play a carp, after that get it in whatever and if it breaks the line (near the hook of course) then so be it. Lactic acids will start to build up in its muscle tissue if it goes on much linger and it could die later even if it looks healthy when you put it back, but they really have to be flogged out.

Glad everyone had a reasonable view on it.