Roto

C

Cakey

Roto got me thinking the other day When Stu said he had ordered new rods to go with his new reels ,is there a sell by date for rods or do we use them till we fancy a change ,or keep up with the Stu's or they bust ??

C

Cakey

Watch out thrush is back from Stoke !
So who is the tackle tart then thrush ?

R

Roto Fryer

the rods i was talking about were some nick buss specials with hand made reel seat etc.
for me its not worth it as i have rods that suit me at the moment and ill probably stick with them until they fall to pieces, however, ill get some 3.5 tc rodes in th enear future for distance work. which ones i have no idea but im sure the set will cost less than 750

R

Roto Fryer

ok do rods have a shelf life?
this depends on what we want from fishing and how we look after our equipment. rods should and will soften with age but we adjust as they adjust without really knowing it.if fact we wont know it until we try new rods and even then we dont know without fishing with them for a season or two.
i played around with a few rods and then had mine hand built for me,. in the end i had to go for a compramise as i love a soft rod but wanted to be able to cast a bit further. the balista slims are great for playing a fish but didnt pack enough punch for what i needed so i went for harrison chimeras at 2.75 lb test curve.
as many of you know i hope to be moving to thailand and am in fact building my own lake out there. it is 4.5 acres and about 80 yards wide for this ill be using 2.5 lb rods, however, ill also be fishing a lake that is more than 500 acres and i think ill need something heavier if i have to do any distance work.
our rods are a tool to do the job we require of them. i believe in having the right and best tools for the job & thats why i have mine made to suit me.
is that answer to your liking mr cakehole?

D

Dave Rothery

I agree with roto (doh!)
i thought my daiwa/nash infinities were ok till i got some new rods custom made (bruce ashby's - just up the road from you stu) - mainly cos i got bored and fancied full corks!! wasn't till i had a cast and caught a few that i realised how the infinities had "gone off".
?750 per rod???!!! hope you get a test drive first. good on ya. flaunt it if you got it!!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
?750 per rod, that’s just ridiculous!!! It’s like paying out ?1200 for a bait boat or ?370 for a reel! Wouldn’t catch me getting caught out like that!

D

Dave Rothery

Got to be a right mug eh ;) bit like ?900 on a bit of foam and fibreglass shaped like a surfboard

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

They sorted ya ?1200 quid boat that went wonkey yet Stu?

;o)

S

Stuart Bullard

Never known any rod to have anything to do with getting a fish to pick up my bait.

At the end of the day, if someone wants to pay ?750 for a rod, fine. As Roto said its up to the individual tastes.

Carbon fibre or Kevlar doesnt go "off" from what I can remember, well at least not with the usage a rod would get. I suspect any differences in "feeling" are down to better construction these days.

I have been a very keen skier since (well since I can remember) and if I may say, a bloody good one. One of my pairs of skis is nearly 20 years old and is no way "spent". And these things get really stressed out. So I would be surprised if they change that much.

There again, I am often surprised.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Cakey's rod has has softened too. Well, that's what Roto reckons!