Bed chairs

S

Stuart Bullard

Ok - so I was never going to do nights. So I then got a bivvy after all. Even my own spod and rod! Now I need a proper bedchair.

Budget ?200 max. But what do I look for? What are there essentials / must haves? I am 5'10 and just under 12 stone if that has an influence.

I was reading about having a 3rd leg. Not being Rolf Harris I wasn't sure what this was for.

Any guidance appreciated.

I must repeat....I will not get a bait boat. I will not get a bait boat.I will not get a bait boat.I will not get a bait boat.I will not get a bait boat.I will not get a bait boat.I will not get a bait boat. How much is a bait boat? I will not get a bait boat.I will not get a bait boat.

A

andrew jackson

Standard bed chairs have two pairs of legs that are below the hinges of the bedchair section. The third leg is actualy a third pair of legs that is below the head section of the chair. This makes the bedchair much more stable, and stops the common occurance of the bed chair tipping up backwards whilst trying to get off it in a hurry. I am a similar height to you Stuart but a "little" more heavy, and I consider the third leg a must.
One of the big factors to look at is weight, some of the cheaper chairs look like they have the same features of more expensive bed chairs, and indeed they do, but they weigh a ton. Jrc have some great offers on bedchairs at the moment and some of them are very light.

A

andrew jackson

Only 7 stone? Is that the part we can see in your profile photo, or one of your legs and half a arm?

S

Stuart Bullard

Thanks Andrew - and hence my reason for getting a bedchair, and now with the 3rd leg. The other week I used a mates old one, and in the middle of the night my one and only (missed) run resulted in my feet nearly tearing thru the roof my bivvy!

Its his jaw mate.

S

Sascha Welsch

JRC Coccoon 3 leg Stuart. Should be about ?160 unless they've been reduced further recently?? They are rated to 20 stone and 6ft 4" I believe and are really comfy. I took the built in pillow out of mine as I prefer something a bit softer but it's nice enough if you're not bothered.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Stuart don't know if you saw Selby Fish In page 13 but a local tackle shop donated a Terry Hearn X Lite 2 leg bedchair to raffle/ raise money for the fish in. I believe its rated to 18st and incredibly light. You may want to hang on and try your luck. Recommended retail approx ?140 I think?

S

Stuart Bullard

Thanks guys. Looks like a 3rd leg is required.

I will not buy a bait boat. I will not buy a bait boat. I will not buy a bait boat. I will not buy a bait boat. I will not buy a bait boat. I will not buy a bait boat.........

S

Stuart Bullard

Thanks Rich. With my luck I'd be best buying one before hand!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
They are coming down in price Stu, got to be a bargain, go on buy one you know you really want one.

A

andrew jackson

No dont do it Stuart they are just for people who cant cast, and are a poor substitute for skills for the lazy and inept.

(Light the blue touch paper at arms length, and then retreat a safe distance) LOL

S

Stuart Bullard

I WILL NOT BUY A BAIT BOAT. I WILL NOT BUY A BAIT BOAT. I WILL NOT BUY A BAIT BOAT. I WILL NOT BUY A BAIT BOAT. I WILL NOT BUY A BAIT BOAT. I WILL NOT BUY A BAIT BOAT. I WILL NOT BUY A BAIT BOAT.

So how much are they then?