Main Line for Floater Fishing

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good no nonsense mainline for floater fishing?

The lake in question is pretty snag free although there are a few overhanging trees but generally it's just open water.

What B/S would people recommend for such a water with carp running to close on 30lb?

Also, do people use line floatant (spray/ grease) or just rely on a natural floating line?

Cheers

Trevor

Barney 2

Reaction score
Yes I can - Ultima Flo Cast - I used it for all of my floater fishing last season with good results. It has a hollow core so always floats without any further treatment and casts well (I always feeline). It can feel 'scraped' after tussles in the snags but it's not so expensive you mind cutting it back and discarding the end 6 foot or so.

I use it in 8lb, but for the size of fish your after you may want to step it up a notch or two. I now have two new spools ready as I found it at a good price on fleabay.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Like the sound of that Barney, especially because i wouldn't have to muck about trying to get it to float!

Do you know the diameter and how it compares to other lines?

Used Double Strength before but always have a nagging doubt about the knots as i've always found it quite hard to tie.

Cheers

Trevor

Barney 2

Reaction score
I must have picked up a recommendation on here a few years ago and have not looked back since!

I think the 8lb is 0.25mm and I am sure you can find the other diameters by searching about.

I suppose it may be a bit 'wirey' but the distance gained on the cast really surprised me! I use it straight through tying a grinner for the hook with just the weight of bread crust. Fishing for (and catching) singles to mid-doubles it has not let me down, although being snaggy lakes I always check the last 6ft after every fish and cut back if at all damaged.

Got more last week for £5.69 for 100 metres so got to be worth a try?

I guess it's worth adding I've only used Flo Cast on a small tapered spool matched to a 9ft stalking rod with a nice through action...

Last edited:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I use floating braided line which doubles up for drifter float fishing for pike in the winter,set the clutch correctly though

Barney 2

Reaction score
How do you set that up Pete? Straight to the hook or with a long mono hooklengh? I have thought about using braid after seeing it used in a video somewhere, but never got around to trying it for anything else but Piking.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I use an in-line controller on the mainline,very small swivel pushed into the silicon tubing with a Berkley Whiplash braid hook length of 2ft+ & a plastic mixer on a size 6 hook - the inline controller has a bolt/self-hooking effect but the clutch must be set loose otherwise a sudden take will smash the hooklength,just tighten up the clutch when playing the fish or drop a finger onto the spool rim - also wet the mainline before casting,braid works better that way

Marker

Reaction score
i use drennan double strength myself, you need to treat it with mucelin though, otherwise it will sink after a while;)