Floats and Carp - Are they still relevant?

Old Nick

Reaction score
Does the sentiment of this quote from 'Confessions of a Carp catcher' by BB resonate with other FM'ers?

"You can ledger with a floatless line but such a method tries the patience of the most patient habitual carp catcher. If you have a float to gaze at, you have at least some interest; a line descending at an angle into murky waters of great depth is neither an exhilarating sight or one to foster optimism. Indeed there are great psychological deeps to be sounded in the matter of floats."

Are methods involving a float relevant to the modern carp angler?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Think of the fizz of bubbles around the float, every little bob or movement of the float, the anticipation of the float going under etc. You may even see the fish or the vortex in the water that it may make. You just don't get that with feeder or tip fishing. Okay, exciting when you get the knocks, little quivers of the tip and then the pull round. But not as electrifying as watching the float and waiting for it to go. You just see a whole lot more in watching a float.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Interesting question. With modern long stay Carping the float possibly doesn't have any use (you try staring at a float for 3 days). However, I for one have returned to float fishing after a 30 odd years of not using one! I have to say so far, it has renewed my enthusiasm.

Old Nick

Reaction score
Today, having walked through three fields, trodden in muddy puddles that came to my knees, sitting in the rain under a leaky brolly for five hours wet through, and managing to experience a sense of expectation and excitement at every dip of the float - even though I know that ledgering would probably be more productive, it just doesn't capture my imagination in anything like the same way as a brightly painted bit of wood!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I'm with Wobbly Face, a float is a gateway to your imagination. Half the time it isn't actually doing anything, it's just that it might at any moment.....

Somehow an alarm or a quivertip isn't the same, though for the life of me I don't know why?

Old Nick

Reaction score
I think most of us would agree there is something magical about using a float, however is it a viable method for targeting carp on estate lakes and pools?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I think most of us would agree there is something magical about using a float, however is it a viable method for targeting carp on estate lakes and pools?

Yes - Just ask Chris Yates! More effective when targeting the margins, though.

Rickrod

Reaction score
I got my pb using a float rig...stalked it with worm

snowshoe60

Reaction score
Without a doubt they are still relevant. Not popular but relevant!
I caught the biggest fish of the uear on the syndicate I run this year at 36lb 2oz on the float with bread flake. In fact I caught more than nay other angler using float tactics in the margins when people on boilies and bolt rigs struggled. Both have thier advantages and times when they are best but never rule out float fishing as a small fish tactic

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Had my pb common on a waggler.
And what about all the thousands of anglers using pellet wagglers, or poles.
IMO more fun than watching a tip, or waiting for my baitrunner to start spinning.

slime monster

Reaction score
Refined float fishing is a skill not learnt by a huge percentage of anglers these days,many new to the game take one of two options ..pole or rod pod and two or three rods , some try the float and fail quickly taking the easier option because you cannot become a master of float fishing in a hurry it takes many hours of practice to even get close to being a good rod as we used to say .

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I see very little difference between watching a Float and watching a Quiver Tip, you are still waiting for that all important indication of a bite.
I think both are exciting methods that require skill, co-ordination and reflexes and both are exciting methods, in my opinion anyway.

Frothey

Reaction score
Refined float fishing is a skill not learnt by a huge percentage of anglers these days,many new to the game take one of two options ..pole or rod pod and two or three rods , some try the float and fail quickly taking the easier option because you cannot become a master of float fishing in a hurry it takes many hours of practice to even get close to being a good rod as we used to say .

Christ, I never thought float fishing was that difficult when I did it as a 5yr old...... it's not exactly rocket science is it?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Christ, I never thought float fishing was that difficult when I did it as a 5yr old...... it's not exactly rocket science is it?

I find Float Fishing, a very complicated and annoying and frustrating way of fishing, as i don't have the confidence in what i am doing when fishing the Float, so although it is not Rocket Science, it isn't just a case of attach float to line and chuck it in and catch fish either.

As a five year old a lot of things seem easier as you don't over think things and complicate things quite like us adults seem to do.

I don't suppose Rocket Science is Rocket Science to a Rocket Scientist, doesn't mean though that he has to wear slip on shoes because he can't tie his Laces ........... :wh