Carp Record Broken?

P

Paul Williams

Philip,
lack of action all together! it has always been my bogey!! i know it is a good bait, because i was crap with it i stopped using it a great deal, but as i said i must persevere with it, mass baiting with maggots is bloody expensive and eel keep eating them all!!

P

Paul Williams

PS
i did try it last year, i fished a water full of roach but with a few big ones....i thought the corn may be a little more selective....it wasn't!

P

Philip Inzani

Must admit I found exactly the same thing with Roach. I fished a water that held some good ones but was stuffed with little stuff as well. After trying just about everything I eventually went onto corn but like you say the little ones went beserk for it as well....Hhhhmmmm maybe hard maize could be worth a try ?
I also remeber hearing about a guy in a similar position who racked his brains looking for a soft, small raoch proof bait and ended up doing quite well on swan mussels belive it or not...never tried it myself but I have always kept it in the back of my mind.

R

Ron Clay

That's exactly what I have found with roach. The little ones love it.
I've fornd that bread flake is a more selective bair for the bigger fish

P

Paul Williams

Ron,
on the water i'm talking about the little ones hammered the flake too!! either that or those pesky carp :eek:) beat the big roach too it! ( It was a well known carp water)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
A big lobworm takes some beating for big roach where eels are not a nuisance.

P

Paul Williams

I'll second that.....i used to eel fish a lot and caught a fair few roach on lobs...and heavy gear!!

R

Ron Clay

Lobs of course are a great big roach bait. Problem has been that were I have fished there has been lots of little perch. Bread worked much better

C

Carp Angler

Sweetcorn and breadflake were the baits I served my apprenticeship with.

Sweetcorn is a bit of bad one for me, as the smell makes me want to vomit, but I've had some brilliant fish and bags of fish using it.

I admittedly don't use the standard corn much anymore.
Preferring either flavoured Pescaviva or maize.