denham golf course lakes

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
A long shot but I had invites to play at the 'Buckinghamshire' on a couple of occasions in the past. Does the river fishing on the back lawn of their clubhouse, which incidentally is also HQ for British ladies PGA, belong to them? Certainly nobody stopped me having an hour's fly-casting on the Colne. I'm not sure if the little stream on the entrance side is the Misbourne, which I understand once held wild rainbows, or just an offshoot of the main river, with the Misbourne elsewhere in the grounds, there were plenty of fingerlings (trout?) there.

The Uxbridge 'private fishing' signs (on white gates) were nearer the main roundabout. However nobody seemed to be fishing there either. Certainly no angler's cars were apparent... early August - three years running.

Interest is from a historic perspective. Both rivers looked photogenic.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
S-Kippy.very nice rounded,balanced reply-keeps everyones feet on the ground!

PARKING..........when I belonged to UR and fished the Colne upstream(near a Hari-Krishna type abode?)from the M40 bridge,the M40 stopped at the Denham roundabout and went back into dual carriageway(I hope this makes sense!).
Consequently parking,if you could call it that,was actually in a lay-by on the main road!!

This was many years ago and its probably all changed now....SO,my concerns are around this issue-is parking still a problem and how does it work now?
Obviously other stretches are available but from my poor memory many stretches suffered from a parking problem and I recall driving around trying to find a safe spot to park along its length

Can you help on this??

ps I will study the UR website NOW and maybe get some answers to the above,but first hand knowledge is always better......I'm retired now so I have to be sure I'm not wasting my money...

pp...as an aside;I did hook an enormous fish on 8lb line and big rod just above the M'way Bridge and it took me more than 50m before coming off........

thanks anyway!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The parking for the golf course lakes, and the river at denham is in the clubs official car park. It is a bit of a hike to the lakes, but worth it .The river is, as stickfloat says can be hard but the fish are very big when caught, barbel to 17lb and chub to over 8lb. The club also have a secure carp lake in Iver heath ,and the Rickmansworth aquadrome,both holding a good head of carp to 40lb. Big tench can be caught at the aquadrome as well as huge bream.The club also has a stunning lake in Uxbridge,with some good tench.
I recommend Tinca and anyone else local to join URACS for £75 the variety of waters is very good value.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thanks for that Peter....its only £55 for an old dog like me!!

Sounds pretty good to me so I might just invest in a ticket........I do need a change!

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Hey TeeCee, get in there mate, I'll show you around if you want to come over during the close season. Or if you or Tinca want a day out I'll get a guest ticket. URACS has 7 lakes open all year.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The parking for the golf course lakes, and the river at denham is in the clubs official car park. It is a bit of a hike to the lakes, but worth it .The river is, as stickfloat says can be hard but the fish are very big when caught, barbel to 17lb and chub to over 8lb. The club also have a secure carp lake in Iver heath ,and the Rickmansworth aquadrome,both holding a good head of carp to 40lb. Big tench can be caught at the aquadrome as well as huge bream.The club also has a stunning lake in Uxbridge,with some good tench.
I recommend Tinca and anyone else local to join URACS for £75 the variety of waters is very good value.

Oooooh...steady on now !

1.A bit of a hike it most certainly is ! I reckon its nearly a mile which is a long way with all your gear.:eek:

2. I [and a few others] are not entirely convinced about that barbel or that chub and even if they really were that big they are two exceptional isolated fish.

3. The Aquadrome Lake I do not know as well as Simon [PC] does. You can take it as read what he says about it.

4. What "stunning lake in Uxbridge" ? Cowley Lake ? :eek: Oh come on !

But its a good club with decent waters. All I'm saying is dont get too excited.:)

Skippy

peter crabtree

Reaction score
1 Skippy mate, how far did you walk and wade all your gear down the Bristol avon?
Not much difference, and no railings to climb over .
2 We love Eddie......

Stick_Float

Reaction score
The GC lakes are indeed very nice places to be though I think paradise is a bit strong.They are certainly nothing like as heavily fished as they used to be.Draw your own conclusions as to why.Historically the South lake [or hard lake as members called it] never did produce large hauls.

The lakes are however now getting quite overgrown and the best one does have a weed problem.First 4-6 weeks fine...thereafter you will have weed problems.The club is fine.Well run and nice people.

I'm not going to big the waters up though. They are OK...that's all.

Maybe 'paradise' was a bit strong, but I love it there. Nice scenery, rarely even see anyone else down there and I had a little success the few times I fished it. I often just go down there for a walk round the lakes, down the canal and the Colne and River Frays trying to find some fish.

As for the walk, it takes me 15 mins from the Denham car park, a bit of a pain but worth it, sometimes I do the trek from Uxbridge tube station with fishing gear - now that is a bit of a walk!

As I said before, I fully recommend joining, I've really enjoyed my first season with Uracs, caught some good fish and met some good people along the way.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
When I first fished the GC lakes you needed to be there before dawn just to get a swim.That's how popular they were but that was before commercials became established. They've suffered as have a lot of "natural" fisheries because you simply dont catch as easily and you dont catch as many.

Provided you understand and accept that then they are indeed lovely lakes to fish...at least until the weed gets up ! That needs sorting and the trees need trimming...it was always a bit "tight" down there and unless someone has been round with a branch lopper it will be even tighter. Last time I fished there my favourite swim was unfishable because of the trees.15 minutes from the car park ? Blimey...I'm impressed.

But enough negativity....Skippy's tip for a big early season GC tench is to look for bubbling fish,feed red maggot heavily and floatfish two on a small,strong hook. Alternatively a big lump of flake or strawberry flavoured pellet can also works but in my experience red maggot is the way to go. 2-3 pints for a morning session and dont look to bring any home...keep it going in.

Enjoy.

Skippy

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

Or casters...but they do like a maggot down dere.

tinca taker

Reaction score
Thank you peter for the offer of a guest ticket, it's very kind of you.
I think for 80 pounds it.s worth joining, i took a walk along the colne in the snow and it looked stunning! As for the fish being far and few between that makes it all the more interesting.
If i wanted to fight for a swim and have fish jumping into my net i'd go lizard!! the lakes sound tranquil.
The chance of a big tinca definatly sounds just up my street!!
Thanks again folks, might see you down there mr crabtree dappling a grasshopper he he!!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
This thread has amazed me !

I lived and worked in the area for 20 years and never knew about these lakes. Typical of my luck that I should discover their existence after moving to Surrey.

I'm not exactly sure where you are talking about, but if parking is a problem there is a long, dead-end road running West from the old A40 just North of the motorway junction , next to the Tendercare Nursery where I used to work. Would that be near enough?

To think of all the hours I spent fishing the GUC and all this was so near. Drat !

peter crabtree

Reaction score
By the time that new rail link is finished we won't be able to walk to the flipping station.............
Construction to start in 2017, maybe?........

250mph in a tunnel under Skippys house..............

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm with 'the indifferent crucian'...the response to this thread has been amazing and like him I had no idea these lakes existed!
Granted,I don't live that close(nr High Wycombe)but even so I liked to think I was aware of most'local'waters-obviously not!!

I also thank Peter and others for enlightening us!

Makes me wonder what other waters remain undiscovered in the area.....must get out more.......!