denham golf course lakes

tinca taker

Reaction score
thinking of joining the local club [uracs] and looking for a bit of info on the golf course lakes. what size the carp go to? tactics etc.... any info is more than welcome!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Is this Denham just off the M40 near Hillingdon,West London??I didn't know the golf course had lakes-missed it as Savay is close by......

Who are 'uracs' Tinca??

Sounds interesting apart from flying golf balls!!

tinca taker

Reaction score
yep it's just off denham roundabout by the A40/M40. it's controlled by uxbridge rovers and on their web site says it's mainly tench but shows a couple of real old looking carp. could be interesting!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've been a member of "The Rovers" for many years and know the GC lakes quite well.The carp are few and far between and during the time I fished there I cant honestly remember anyone targetting them specifically.Its the Colne Valley and there are much better carp waters around.They are there but I dont think there are many.

Tenchwise the lakes are going back in my view. The fish are getting old and though they do run to double figures or so I would put the average GC tench at around the 4-5lb mark.You've a decent chance of a 7-8lb fish and maybe a 9 pounder early season.I know people who have fished it a lot over the years whose best are 8lb +.There are no [by modern standards] huge fish there.

The so-called "easy" lake which used to be full of 3-4 pounders seems devoid of fish now.Most peole fish what was known as the "hard" lake whichj offers fewer but bigger fish.That one hasn't changed much and its the only one I ever fish...though I suspect the other holds more carp.I've seen a couple of low doubles but only once.They dont,as a rule,show and that makes me think there are not many of them.There was a rumour that a few small carp were going to be stocked...whether they were or not I dont know.In short,the lakes are in decline.Still worth fishing but nothing like as good as they once were.

There is a 3rd lake [Long Pond] which I've never fished because I could not see any way of getting a bait through the weed.Its is[was?] absolutely choked with the stuff.Rumoured to hold huge eeels but I dont know if that's true or a myth.Certainly not for the faint hearted or casual angler.

Access is ****.Its a bloody long walk from the nearest car park and poaching with nets has been a problem as a result.You are quite isolated though probably safer than your car is ! Frankly...its best fished early morning. I use to fish the evenings but it was usually 1 fish or two at best. Early morning you could get 3-4 if you're lucky.Best I ever did was 6 in a morning to 7.5lb.

The lakes contain very little of consequence other than tench.There is a shoal of big bream in one which show from time to time but need to be specifically targetted.Basically you are fishing for tench or nothing.

By way of a bonus there is [or was] a gloworm colony on the banks which was nice to see.

Skippy.

Morespiders

Reaction score
You paint a lovely picture Skippy, you have just ruined (shattered) Tincas dreams.:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Away with you Spiders...I've just put him on some gloworms.There are carp all over the place but gloworms are a bit special.

I speak only the truth.That is how it is and one reason why I gave up my ticket.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

If I'd really wanted to put Tinca off I'd have mentioned that the hotspot big bream swim cannot be fished any more due to its proximity to a badger sett which the local Wildlife Numpty Group has had fenced off.

But I didn't !

Morespiders

Reaction score
Away with you Spiders...I've just put him on some gloworms but gloworms are a bit special.
!

yes worth the price of the ticket to see them, last time i saw some was 40 years ago ago on the Hampshire avon at Verwood, must admit i have never forgot them

tinca taker

Reaction score
gloworms!

Thank you for being so brutally honest skippy and pi**ing on my parade! I must join up now to see my first gloworm!!! well with pond weed, badgers set and no big fish it sounds like a bloody good venue! lol.
Would it be worth joining up for the section of the colne? or has that got major problems as well?
Maybe i should stick to my first plan and keep at the canal in the hope of finding a hens tooth sorry i mean a decent carp!! any help with that would be appreciated.
cheers skip you speak words of norman!!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Join them Tinca.

You also get access to our TVAA stretches of the Thames since UR are members. We have a new one this year at Eton, nice piece of water with parking!

Used to have glow bugs (what I call them) at one swim in Marlow. I used to stick them on the bobbins at night to save buying isotopes. (No kid!)

They'd just sit there for hours unless two were mating then you didn't know if you had a bite or not. (Kidding on that one.)

tinca taker

Reaction score
Cheers jeff, free isotopes with membership, it's sounding s bit more worth while.
I work between denham and gx and was just looking for a very local location for early morning fishing and maybe a spot after work,so it doesn't interfere with my home life [missus and kids you know how it is!] and the colne and lakes at denham would have been perfect.
Although i do love the thames apart from how it's been fishing recently when i fish it it's mainly on the tidal.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Tinca...I don't think its all doom & gloom from what Skippy says..The fish may be going backwards as such,but for a local spot after work even an'old Tench'around 8lb or so would be nice(and the chance of a bigger one if its not fished too often)!!

I might have look at UR myself(I did belong some 20 years ago to fish the Colne on the M40 stretch but couldn't stand the traffic!)and also see what Jeffs's lake has to offer....

Trouble is I would have to race up/down the M40 to reach it!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Sorry chaps...only telling the truth.

The GC lakes are still worth fishing provided you dont mind a bit of a walk and understand that they are not what I would call prolific and are basically tench or nowt...and an 8-9lb tench is a maximum.As I said before a 5-6 is much more realistic and you might only get one or two fish a trip...if you get any at all.The Rovers stretches of the Colne do hold some big barbel and huge chub but the barbs in particular can take some finding.They are there though at both Denham and Rickmansworth.Barbel to 14lb and chub to 6-7lb are realistic....bigger have been caught allegedly but I have my doubts.Denham is the prettier but harder stretch,Ricky the smaller but holds more barbel.Neither are easy fishing & can be a bit swimmy but there is a distinct year group of fish about which means you've a very good chance of a double figure barbel at Ricky.There are some decent carp in the river too and there is also Billet Lane in Iver which is nobbut a pond but has a good head of carp including some lumps.

The Colne in this area I've always thought of as a river with barbel in rather than a barbel river if you know what I mean and I've been fishing it for many years.

And dont tread on any of my gloworms !

Skippy

S-Kippy

Reaction score
[/COLOR]
moz-screenshot.png

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Well at least the picture turned up this time though what its doing over there God alone knows.

They really are the most fantastic things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Cleaned it up a bit for you.

They are terrific. If only the power people could breed enough of them to go around every household. Thousands of them stuck on your ceiling, stick them around the neb of your cap when fishing, stick them onto your car. We'd save a fortune!

tinca taker

Reaction score
Well cheers guys, it's all food for thought. Looks like the colne at denham going to be my best bet and hopefully get a couple of evening passes from the other half for a spot of barbel fishing!

I will have to join now just for these poxy globugs!!!!

Stick_Float

Reaction score
Tinca, I joined URACS at the start of this season and have loved every minute of it, everyone I've met on the banks have been friendly and helpful (including FM's own Peter Crabtree), I can only speak good things about the club and they have some excellent waters with some great fishing to be had. I fully recommend joining.

RE the golf course lakes, they are an absolute paradise, you will probably not speak to another person all day, it's a lovely place to be. From what I gather, there are a few good sized carp in both lakes (I've certainly disturbed some sizeable lumps in the margins when I go for a wander there) but they are incredibly underfished so there may be a few surprises waiting. If you want to avoid the carp 'circuit', and like a little mystery then you'll probably enjoy these lakes. I've fished them 3 times and took 2 tench, biggest 7.11 from the south lake late in summer, and I suspect if you fished it earlier in summer you could take a big haul. There was a double figure tinca reported this season too, and a massive bream, but as I said it's hugely underfished and I like that little bit of unknown where a surprise could turn up. You always have Batchworth lake in Ricky which is the Rovers top carp venue with carp to just under 40 on the book also, but isn't quite as quiet and unknown.

The Colne sections are good too, with big barbel and huge chub to be had, as someone has mentioned, the barbel at Denham are very elusive, I have yet to connect with one but I've been told when they turn up they are hefty.

As I'm a new member I can only pass on what I've learnt in a short space of time, and your best bet is to speak to Peter Crabtree on here or give someone from the club a call who are all friendly and generous with information who know the waters well. Feel free to drop me a PM too.

All in all I thoroughly recommend joining up!

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Just had a response from Chris Gadsden about memberships for 2010. They are -

Senior new members £80 renewal's £75
Under twelves free
Juniors 13-18 free for this coming season[1yr experiment]
O.A.P.£53
Disabled £43
Student 18-21 in full time education £60
Night tickets for selected waters £35
Guest tickets [must be accompanied by member] £10

Hope this helps.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
The GC lakes are indeed very nice places to be though I think paradise is a bit strong.They are certainly nothing like as heavily fished as they used to be.Draw your own conclusions as to why.Historically the South lake [or hard lake as members called it] never did produce large hauls.

The lakes are however now getting quite overgrown and the best one does have a weed problem.First 4-6 weeks fine...thereafter you will have weed problems.The club is fine.Well run and nice people.

I'm not going to big the waters up though. They are OK...that's all.