Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default denham golf course lakes

thinking of joining the local club [uracs] and looking for a bit of info on the golf course lakes. what size the carp go to? tactics etc.... any info is more than welcome!!

Is this Denham just off the M40 near Hillingdon,West London??I didn't know the golf course had lakes-missed it as Savay is close by......

Who are 'uracs' Tinca??

Sounds interesting apart from flying golf balls!!

yep it's just off denham roundabout by the A40/M40. it's controlled by uxbridge rovers and on their web site says it's mainly tench but shows a couple of real old looking carp. could be interesting!

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I've been a member of "The Rovers" for many years and know the GC lakes quite well.The carp are few and far between and during the time I fished there I cant honestly remember anyone targetting them specifically.Its the Colne Valley and there are much better carp waters around.They are there but I dont think there are many.

Tenchwise the lakes are going back in my view. The fish are getting old and though they do run to double figures or so I would put the average GC tench at around the 4-5lb mark.You've a decent chance of a 7-8lb fish and maybe a 9 pounder early season.I know people who have fished it a lot over the years whose best are 8lb +.There are no [by modern standards] huge fish there.

The so-called "easy" lake which used to be full of 3-4 pounders seems devoid of fish now.Most peole fish what was known as the "hard" lake whichj offers fewer but bigger fish.That one hasn't changed much and its the only one I ever fish...though I suspect the other holds more carp.I've seen a couple of low doubles but only once.They dont,as a rule,show and that makes me think there are not many of them.There was a rumour that a few small carp were going to be stocked...whether they were or not I dont know.In short,the lakes are in decline.Still worth fishing but nothing like as good as they once were.

There is a 3rd lake [Long Pond] which I've never fished because I could not see any way of getting a bait through the weed.Its is[was?] absolutely choked with the stuff.Rumoured to hold huge eeels but I dont know if that's true or a myth.Certainly not for the faint hearted or casual angler.

Access is ****.Its a bloody long walk from the nearest car park and poaching with nets has been a problem as a result.You are quite isolated though probably safer than your car is ! Frankly...its best fished early morning. I use to fish the evenings but it was usually 1 fish or two at best. Early morning you could get 3-4 if you're lucky.Best I ever did was 6 in a morning to 7.5lb.

The lakes contain very little of consequence other than tench.There is a shoal of big bream in one which show from time to time but need to be specifically targetted.Basically you are fishing for tench or nothing.

By way of a bonus there is [or was] a gloworm colony on the banks which was nice to see.

Skippy.

You paint a lovely picture Skippy, you have just ruined (shattered) Tincas dreams.
    Perch and tench record holder, and ACA member for twenty years, and Treasurer of P.A.S.C.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Away with you Spiders...I've just put him on some gloworms.There are carp all over the place but gloworms are a bit special.

I speak only the truth.That is how it is and one reason why I gave up my ticket.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

If I'd really wanted to put Tinca off I'd have mentioned that the hotspot big bream swim cannot be fished any more due to its proximity to a badger sett which the local Wildlife Numpty Group has had fenced off.

But I didn't !

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    Away with you Spiders...I've just put him on some gloworms but gloworms are a bit special.
    !
    yes worth the price of the ticket to see them, last time i saw some was 40 years ago ago on the Hampshire avon at Verwood, must admit i have never forgot them
    Perch and tench record holder, and ACA member for twenty years, and Treasurer of P.A.S.C.

Default gloworms!

Thank you for being so brutally honest skippy and pi**ing on my parade! I must join up now to see my first gloworm!!! well with pond weed, badgers set and no big fish it sounds like a bloody good venue! lol.
    Would it be worth joining up for the section of the colne? or has that got major problems as well?
    Maybe i should stick to my first plan and keep at the canal in the hope of finding a hens tooth sorry i mean a decent carp!! any help with that would be appreciated.
    cheers skip you speak words of norman!!

Blog Entries

Join them Tinca.

You also get access to our TVAA stretches of the Thames since UR are members. We have a new one this year at Eton, nice piece of water with parking!

Used to have glow bugs (what I call them) at one swim in Marlow. I used to stick them on the bobbins at night to save buying isotopes. (No kid!)

They'd just sit there for hours unless two were mating then you didn't know if you had a bite or not. (Kidding on that one.)
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Cheers jeff, free isotopes with membership, it's sounding s bit more worth while.
    I work between denham and gx and was just looking for a very local location for early morning fishing and maybe a spot after work,so it doesn't interfere with my home life [missus and kids you know how it is!] and the colne and lakes at denham would have been perfect.
    Although i do love the thames apart from how it's been fishing recently when i fish it it's mainly on the tidal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast