the last barbel challenge in aid of the army benevolent fund

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
please get behind us 1 last time and help us raise a fantastic amount of money for a very worthwhile charity.

starting on 14th august 2017

14 rivers in 14 days.
the final challenge.

it started with 14 and so it ends with 14

raising money for the army benevolent fund starting on 14th August 2017 1 angler Jerry Gleeson will aim to fish 14 rivers in 14 days to catch as many barbel as possible.
Using public transport from trains, taxis and busses I will travel the country from stockport to London zig zagging across the country fishing the rivers goyt dove derwent trent severn teme wavon kennett and lea.
on the 9th river the river lea I will meet up with challenge regulars Paul Floyd Dave Chambers and Matt Marlow Angling and guests Christophe Pelhate, Tony Christou and Steve Ward where we will then fish the lea the kentish stour then 4 rivers in Europe visiting france belgium and holland.
we ask the angling community family and friends to get behind the lads and help them raise a fantastic amount of money for a wonderful charity that helps our service men and women past and present.

donations can be made to www.justgiving.com/jerry-Gleeson 4

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
My proposed route to the 9th river,

14th august start on the river goyt, fish till 5am, bus to train station.

15th August catch 1st available train to Tutbury and get a taxi to coton in the clay or scropton, depart 8am back to Tutbury.

16th August from tutbury get train to long eaton then taxi to derwent, depart 8am.

17th August walk over to river trent, depart 8am ish.

18th August taxi to long eaton and catch train to Worcester ( this is where it starts to get difficult, tiredness will have kicked in and theres a 3hr plus train journey to Worcester with 2 changes) walk or get taxi to river teme. Depart 9am ish.

19th August catch a taxi to lower severn, depart 9am ish taxi or cadge a lift back into worcester.

20th August from worcester get train to coventry and taxi to warks avon, depart 9am

21st August from coventry get train to London euston from here i will either fish the colne by cadging a lift, depart 10ish back to London euston .

22nd August from London euston get train to Broxbourne, from Broxbourne get bus or taxi to kings weir to meet up with the rest of the lads Matt Marlow Angling Paul Floyd Julian Barnes Dave Chambers and guest anglers Tony Christou Steve Ward and Christophe Pelhate where we will then travel to the kentish stour and into europe.

In between all that i have to eat, sleep, pick up fresh food and bait and hopefully get a shower somewhere.

If you'd like to donate its www.justgiving.com/jerry-Gleeson4

B

binka

Good luck with it again Jerry and my support as always, I met Paul Floyd the other evening and he spoke passionately about the challenge.

I'm looking forward to it all kicking off and reading how you get on :)

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
2017 barbel challenge update

As a couple of the lads have pulled out due to family committments ive decided to change the format so all species are included.
it should make things a bit more interesting as ive not fished for anything else in 10 yrs and should be rather more challenging as ive now got to carry more gear extra bait and catch fish ive forgotten how to catch.

Barbel
Gudgeon
Chub
Roach
Perch
Dace
Bream
Ruffe
Ide
Aspe
Ruffe
Trout
Grayling
River carp

I would likevto catch a river pike but as im unsure of how to handle them i won't be targeting them, unless 1 of you kind souls wants to pop along and help me catch one.
donations can be made to www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson4

Jez

greenie62

Reaction score
....Bream
Ruffe
Ide
Aspe
Ruffe
Trout.....

You've got Ruffe down twice!:) - you must know somewhere packed with 'em!!:D

Common river fish you've missed off the list are Bleak and Eels - maybe slip one of them on instead of a Ruffe?

Best of luck with that Jerry - when are you planning on it this year? Hope there'll still be enough water!
Tight Lines :thumbs:

Last edited:

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Eels arnt on as im not a massive fan, bleak will hopefully be caught, i hope to add others to list in europe but depends on whats in the rivers where we go.
we will be starting on august 14th mate, basic plan is the same i will fish 1st 8 rivers on my own using public transport and meet up with the lads on the 9th at kings weir then head to kentish stour and into france etc

jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
talksport interview for those who have not heard it.

talkSPORT listen again | talkSPORT

And a a nice piece in last weeks AT if your interested

Donations are coming in nicely, plenty of time yet, but please keep them coming.

Some simple ways to donate or sponsor

Use the Justgiving page and donate whatever you can afford.
Sponsor us per species caught and donate at end
Sponsor me per mobile phone lost
Sponsor me per camera dropped in the river (its inevitable) or on how much gear i end up leaving on trains.
Taking the **** is a compulsory £5 donation :)

If your interested in keeping up with the challenge please add yourself to the facebook group. I will try and post as many updates on here as possible however for those interested in keeping up with it.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/355589131165656/

Donations as always to
Www.justgiving.com/Jerry-Gleeson4

Last edited:

dave m

Reaction score
a marathon of a challenge and a great cause too.

i have sent a tenner and paying with paypal makes it really easy.

come on lads, chip in :thumbs:

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
a marathon of a challenge and a great cause too.

i have sent a tenner and paying with paypal makes it really easy.

come on lads, chip in :thumbs:

Thanks mate much appreciated.

You can now donate by using your mobiles simply txt OYVS55 followed by the amount to 70070.
Example OYVS55 £1 70070

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
only about 7 weeks off now so i thought id best start pestering you all to donate if your interested.

2 days ago i was already to cancel it because of work and i'm going to struggle to take the time off, after a chat with the lads they twisted my arm and its back on, so thought id best go at it full throttle.

When we arrive in Calais we will have 4 days to fish in france, belgium, germany and holland

Calculation on distance/time: Calais-Fumay 300km (4hrs)... Fumay-Seraing 120km (2hrs)... Seraing-Dortmund 220km (3hrs)... Dortmund-IJseel 220km (3hrs)... IJseel-Calais 420km (5hrs)

At least ill be able too have a nap, the lads may be a tad tired then from calais we have to get back to manchester well 3 of us.

Hopefully when i get back to work my kitchen wont be in ruins

We will also be running an auction on 32 auctions just before to raise even more money so ill post details of that when its ready.

If you do wish to donate or sponsor us on how many different species we can catch just use the justgiving page www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson4

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
8 hours behind schedule I'm finally setting off to the 1st river I've had to pack and unpack god knows how many times, the rucksack is loaded to the brim abd the bait buckets are packed to the rim.
8 kilos of boiling, gallon of casters, gallon of hemp, maggots, worms, 10 kilos of micro pellets, enough feeders and lead to sink a battle ship, clothes, water, hyopefully enough clothes and socks and enough food for 2 days, it's a bit cramped and heavy, getting about is going to be a mission and half, hopefully I'll have enough energy left to fish.
Wish me luck as I think I might need it this time round.

Please feel free to donate at 404

theartist

Reaction score
8 hours behind schedule I'm finally setting off to the 1st river I've had to pack and unpack god knows how many times, the rucksack is loaded to the brim abd the bait buckets are packed to the rim.
8 kilos of boiling, gallon of casters, gallon of hemp, maggots, worms, 10 kilos of micro pellets, enough feeders and lead to sink a battle ship, clothes, water, hyopefully enough clothes and socks and enough food for 2 days, it's a bit cramped and heavy, getting about is going to be a mission and half, hopefully I'll have enough energy left to fish.
Wish me luck as I think I might need it this time round.

Please feel free to donate at 404

Good luck mate I know how much hard work you're gonna be putting in, look forward to hearing how the story unfolds :thumbs: