Float Shotting

senan ensko

Reaction score
Now, Drennan aren't too bad in my experience but others!!! How do they test the shot capacity on their floats?? Throwing darts at a board? Picked up some Maver wagglers at the weekend. 3 AAA... right...it took 1 AAA, 1 BB, and 1 No. 6. Now that is waaayyy off. Do I have to buy a 5AAA marked waggler to get a proper 3AAA? AAArrghh!!!
(Isn't it amazing the things that annoy me)
SE

L

Laurie Harper

I've had the same experience (though not with Maver). Some of the floats I've bought have needed nearly double the weight stated. I have a 3AAA loaded waggler that takes 3 swan +. I guess it's down to incosistencies in the materials they're made from - balsa, quill, etc. Being natural materials, their density varies a lot.

Joskin

Reaction score
I too have found similar problems with tackle. Why is it that we put up with this kind of problem with fishing tackle? If I bought any other product from a shop and it didnt do what it said on the packaging I would be taking it back to the retailer.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Didnt the change from lead to lead free shot
make a diffence?
i think the lead free shot is lighter than the old lead shot and the sizes AAA,BB ect are sizes not weight`s so i find i need more shot than stated.
Pole float`s go the other way and state gramms on the float`s.

J

jason fisher

alan the short answer to that is no.
laurie is much closer to the mark.
the answer is to use plastic floats such as the drennan ones. That because peter drennanstarted out as a master float maker so he uses plastic more knowing it to give the most reproducible results.

PTnymph

Reaction score
What I used to do with all my floats was to see if they did match the weight as stated.

If you managed to get hold of a old fashioned sweet jar that used to be in the newspapers shop or a plastic one will do and fill it with water.

Take a float with a piece of monofilament line and add some shot at a time until it reach the mark of the colour top. Then recorded down as the shoted pattern e.g. 3AAA = 2AAA + 1BB + 1No.6 and so on.

Once you have recorded all the float shot pattern either write it down or on the computer.

What I have done is recorded all on the computer and made a small laminated book

So next time I am out float fishing all I have to do put any float and look in this book and the shot pattern.

Perfect everytime.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a Dosapiombo (spelling?) to check the required shotting for all of my floats.
Although primarily designed for pole floats one can easily be adapted to use for any sort of float, and they come ion 2 or 3 sizes anyway.

By using one of these clever devices you don't need a deep container as thekitchen sink has sufficient depth.

I am not sure if I would agree with Jason regarding Peter Drennan being a "master floatmaker" but I wouod certainly agree that he was an inventive one.

If you ever get the chance to see his original fluted Avons that he won the AT(?)competition with, then you will understand what I mean :)

paul palmer 2

Reaction score
im not really that arsed!if its a big float it takes a load of shot1 if its a little one it dont take take much! i still bag up where ever i go (almost)

Tony Burgess

Reaction score
Expertly put Paul,nothing could be simpler than keeping a variety of shot and shotting down to the prefered level.I very rarely get it right 1st time so messing about with the shotting pattern to entice bites can take quite a while.It's part of fishing mate.

paul palmer 2

Reaction score
well that far to teknical 4 me!!
i was pissed by the way when i answered that! as i am now

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If you tie a small loop of 5lb nylon thru the eye in the bottom of the waggler, attach the bulk shot that it requires to this, (leaving enough for what goes down the line) use one of the new waggler attachments thats shaped like a bridge secured by pole rubbers to the main line. This way you have no shot other than No 8 droppers actually on the main line. Result? No more damaged line, easy to attach and move to required depth and the bonus is its all ready to use the next time you fish. All my wagglers are set up like this so I don't have to spend time looking for the shot that I drop when my hands are cold. Hope this helps some of you

N

Neil Laing

Graham Whatmore, how clever! Thanks for sharing this idea, I will give it a try.
Anyone tried attaching their hook to a loop and not having a knot on the hook at all. Be carefull to use 2 swivels so if the line breaks the fish doesn't end up towing a loop. Am I crazy or has someone else tried this?
PS. I find this doubles the strength of the line so I can use 2lb line with 5 lb main line.
Neil.