Line Breaking Strain?

Goatface

Reaction score
How can I find out the breaking strain of my line? I got a couple of spools with unknown line on them. I though they were 4Ib & 7Ib approx. I thought the obvious way was to tie one end to my weighting scales and a loop on the other end and pull. But I am sure they are breaking at about half there BS. I am doing it on about 18" of line. Can I not do it this way, Or is it even that i am doing it right and this is the BS of my line. I dont believe it.

I appreciate that if in doubt I should replace and I intend to soon, But for now this is what I got.

Thanks in advance ;-)

W

Wolfman Woody

Where is the line breaking, at the knot?

It isn't the best way to test line, but it will give you some idea of how it will perform in the real world. How thick is the line, diameter etc.?

Problem with lines, even those with the labels on, everyone puffs up their breaking strains for their given diameters. Nothing is accurate so go with what you have found.

P

Phil Heaton

If you cannot remember their strength rating and they seem to be breaking easy, then probably you have had them a long time. Maybe the best idea would be to buy some new and fish with confidence

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

The knots you are using can have a significant bearing on the bs of the line.

You should also be careful using your scales to test the line as the shock when the line breaks can damage your scales.

How wet the knot is will also affect when it breaks.

J

John W.

Most lines at one time used to specify wet knot breaking strain. its the best guide.

I'd throw it away and get some new.

W

Wolfman Woody

Second thoughts - I agree - get rid and buy new. At least you know then what it should do.

Goatface

Reaction score
Right you all are. Its gotta go. Have no confidence in it at all. One spool when I went to use it yeserday was all loopy. Although it did settle. That was maxima. Will re-do for my next trip ;-)

Goatface

Reaction score
Done,

Got new 4Ib & 7Ib Drennon Double strength on both. Was recomended by tackle shop. I asked for good floating line?

Time will tell :)

Thanks all

W

Wolfman Woody

If you want the line to float always take a little pot of Vaseline with you. I use an old thin shot tub once it's empty. A little bit last for years if you just grease up the casting length.

F

Frothey

bouble strengths pre-stretched, so is a bit more "brittle" and less tough....

Goatface

Reaction score
Pre-strectched. I suupose that pays back in diameter?

As for taking Vaseline to grease up me length. Why change a habit of a lifetime. lol