Stick Float question

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
As every angler knows a downstream wind can be a killer not only for the stick but it seems to put the fish off as well, presentation maybe, who knows. One of the best remedies for stick fishing in a downstreamer is to back shot the line and backwind the float down the swim. It requires a little practice but it gives the angler that much more control over the speed and line.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Nice one- thanks to everyone for their help.
Have just re-spooled my reel with 2.5 & 4lbl Maxima. Walked the river this afternoon & it was very, very slow so think maybe a waggler attack to start with, although rain is forecast for Mon / Tues & I’m on the river on Thurs.
FAO Indifferent Crucian - very odd you mention that particular river.
Will post results if not too ****.
Many thanks

A

alan whittington

Funny enough Flightliner the Lea fromaround Hatfield upstream is quite narrow(less than 10m on average) and of varying pace,but generally doesnt fish well on the waggler.I used to love fishing the Trent and one of the best methods on a downstream wind was to fish a long wire stemmed stick(with very thin stainless wire)at least 12in long(at one time image used to make some),which allowed backshotting whist having something to hold back onto.

A

alan whittington

I never got to fish it mate unfortunately,had some lovely days,some in matches,from Long Eaton down to Gunthorpe,dont travel those distances for a days fishing nowadays,id need a bigger bank balance.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Quick update

First session was a bit of a mare. A very gusty wind & not much flow made it really difficult. Didn't try the stick in the end - just waggler. At times, when the wind dropped I got the float running thru fine, in some really "Mr Crabtree" chub swims, but no bites at all - I suppose the chub here didn't read the book.

Nicked one out of about 12oz from under my feet to avoid a blank. Have identified some good stick runs for when conditions are better.

Many thanks for all of the good advice

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
...but just think Hugh,if you had gone out and caught ten chub to 6lb on the stick you would've been sitting at home today bored stiff and wondering what you could try for the rest of the season.......I hope 12ozs doesn't turn out to be'fish of the season'though!!

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I didn't think about it like that - you're right - I should be more positive :)

Is 12oz not big for a chub then?

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Further update

Second session was much better. Not much flow, but used a small cane stick & fished rod-tip to 3 rod lengths out. Was fishing a new stretch - had to cut 2 swims - no one ever fishes this bit.

First swim - on a corner, overhanging tree, happy with the trot - tried various depths - nothing.

Second swim – straight – one small weed bed (didn't fancy this much really) - missed bite first cast, third trot down float disappears - something large sets of downstream. Gave it as much stick as the 2.6 hook length would stand, turned it round – saw a flash under the surface & thought – definite barbel. After some t then turned for the near bank 10 yards downstream so ran toward it – no real access – 6 foot reeds, but managed to get the net with 2 metre handle through & by some miracle, the fish went in first go. Pulling the net back revealed – a big (for me) bream of 5.25lb!

It may not be a great fish by most standards but I was bloody chuffed – and on a stick!

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I'll need to check - it was a vey old hook to nylon - wil get back to you ASAP.