Light weight chair

J

James Townsend

I'm sick of lugging my old chair along the riverbank when out roving and too old for my arse to recover from sitting on the bank - if money was not an issue, what is the lightest/best available?
Cheers.

W

Wag

Have a look at the JRC Terry Hearn Classic, it's very light and has adjustable legs. It is very low, which suits my fishing,and is well made and comfortable. I got mine for ?40 last year, not sure how much they are now.
I would recommend you try before you buy if you can, you need to be sure it does what you want.

T

THE PHOENIX

Still reckon the Fox Excel's a good one. Not the lightest perhaps, but easy enough to carry and the one I use 90% of the time now. Even on longer stays carping and so on.

Y

yoggy

i!ve had a FOX ADJUSTA LEVEL CHAIR for 3 seasons now and its brilliant for roving and awkward banks it only weighs 3.25kg!!!!..mega light,,and i picked one up brand new for ?33.oo,,,check it out.

jp

Reaction score
The lightest you will find is a Lafuma low chair, they're OK if you can still get up and down without any probs,

there's one on here,

http://www.gazzaproducts.co.uk

Click on *products* and then just put "Lafuma" into the search engine on that page

L

Laurie Harper

Fox Adjusta level for me, too. And, despite a recent post about spares availablility from Fox, I got a new seat cloth/cover for mine by return at a reasonable price from Fox when the original gave up the ghost (after several seasons hard use, I should point out).

jp

Reaction score
Maybe they are different now but I have a very old Fox chair which needed a new cover shortly after it's third birthday, Fox were unable to supply me with one.

I've never bought another Fox item since and never will.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have the Nash lounge Lizard not the lightest that i have seen but lightness and strength i have not seen anything to beat it. Comes with carrying strap and seat retaining velcro straps and most important is comfy.

P

pons

Wychwood do two amazingley light chairs,the best is the one costing about ?39.99 ,called the Superlight Chair,high back and adjustable feet,the cheaper one is the Rover chair,?19.99,which is less than two kilos and very portable.
Well worth a look,
The Pons.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Same as Bryan, looked at them all but Nothing compares to the lounge lizzard for lightness, strength, and comfort.
The carry strap that zips in to the back is brilliant and the chair only weighs about 3kg.

Also the lounge lizzard was reviewed as the best roving chair by Angling times and the Anglers mail sometime last year, that's why I had a look, and bought one straight away!

C

clicktochange

What I want is a chair I can fold up and put in my pocket! I always leapfrog when piking, and it's always irritating having to move the chair along with everything else!

N

Nigel Moors 2

I'd suggest the Nash Lounge Lizard too. I bought and use all the time a Nash Outlaw chair and very quickly after I acquired it they released the LL complete with zip away strap. Brilliant but too late for me - have fitted my own now!

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
Hi James, I have a Terry Hearn Classic and find it more than adequate. There are a few things I'd watch on any chair though and a few things you can do to make life more comfortable. 1) Make sure the legs are independently adjustable 2) Are the feet wide enough or will you need to buy additional mud feet? 3) How compact is the folded chair and does it need a bungy cord to keep it from opening when you carry it? 4) When folded, is there a bar/carry strap that is easy to hold on to 5) For the winter months cut up a piece of carrymat and attach this to the chair via some elastic straps - it will keep your arse a lot warmer! A final thing I like about the classic is that when folded it has a "pocket" formed by the seat fabric. When you want to move you just fold up the chair, chuck a load of stuff in the pocket (like bait) and go. You then just unpack this at the next swim and you're off.

J

jon helyer

The Leslies Insight Wanderer Chair, it weighs 4lb 14oz and is half the weight of my old Fox chair, made a big difference when trudging a mile along a drain. Price: about ?40.

J

John Hepworth

I bought the JRC Classic from Taylors for about ?40. Very light compared to the Badger chair I used for a couple of years after my previous Dzooze (I think that's how its spelt) gave up the ghost, supplied by Terry Eustace.(I think Fox pinched the design with their Adjusta Level)
One thing to watch, make sure the legs are secured before moving as I had a couple of long walks in the early hours to recover a leg that has dropped out. Also, as Jonathan found, they don't have the problem of floppy legs and there is no need to use the bungee type cord.

Yorkie

Reaction score
JRC Terry Hearn Stealth chair.
Alloy frame ensures lightness, independantly adjustable legs with mudfeet. Very comfy, easily carried.
Price tag of ?49.99.

S

Stuart Harvey

If roving, leave the chair at home and use your bait bucket to sit on.