The new river season and not a single report.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Here we are on the 18th of June and not a single river report from any one of us anglers that couldn't wait for the season to open, me included, not a picture to be seen or a blank to report! Oh! my, its changed days from my younger days when I would have been on the middle Severn at dawn on the 16th full of anticipation and eager to start the new season.

Seems things have changed and not just for me either.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Graham (W),

I did the mile walk in waders to your favourite Grimbury Marsh venue on June 16th and had the dace crawling up the rod for 3 hours on wag & mag, then switched to bread when the tide rose to get more dace, some roach and a couple of mullet with a couple of checker bass liking bread as well. Proper fishing!

no-one in particular

Reaction score

fished the 16th and went with chub in mind. The fishing program said tench and chub but, I wanted to go for chub. Caught one very small chub and one small roach first casts. then nothing for the rest of the session even though I fished 3 swims. Went the next day 17th and the barometer and wind had lowered a range. Rudd and tench were now tops so I went to the royal military canal which holds good rudd and tench. Caught 8 rudd and 5 roach. Nothing big but, very enjoyable; no sign of tench though.

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Well I was out at the crack of dawn on a local river. Caught a few small roach, rudd and perch, but a 30mph NE wind killed the fishing and blew me off after a couple of hours. I packed up, returned to the bank to raise the water level a bit and as I looked down saw the most enormous chub tail disappearing into the weeds almost at my feet. So I shall be back when the weather's a bit more propitious.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I'm getting out for the first time this Saturday.

If my new club ticket comes through it'll be the Trent, if not the Derwent. Either way I'll be on the move mostly, fishing likely looking swims looking for chub and the odd barbel.

Can't wait.

Deanos

Reaction score
Opend my season on a little fished, very little fished, okay maybe never fished little stretch of the Yorkshire Nidd, the nettles and thistles were waist high through the access field, I spent an hour and a half walking, well stumbling through the jungle along the banks, more nettles, more thistles before finally getting a little spot close enough to the drink to actually fish. After an hour, my anti reverse bust, followed by by the switch on my bait runner, Fox Stratos 7000 (check out the faults listed by people about this reel on the web) nice reel, shame about the faults.

So, I packed up and went home. Different stretch this evening, cant wait.

So you think you had a bad day at the office! :)

preston96

Reaction score
I'm never in a rush to be first on the river......but i do break up for two weeks down "the van" next Fri :)

Stick_Float

Reaction score
Spent a very enjoyable day on my local Colne, trotting maggots during the day with the hope of chub, dace and roach and on the leger in the evening for a barbel.

Had plenty of pristine chublets and one lovely conditioned 4lb 6oz chub, a solitary dace but no roach put in an appearance unfortunately. I also got smashed up by what was obviously a barbel. In the evening I had plenty of 'chubby' thumps on the rod top and eventually the 2 foot twitch came but somehow I didn't connect.

Nice to be out on running water again, and my biggest float caught chub was a good way to start the season.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Sadly nothing worthy of reporting.

I had planned to catch a bucket of minnows just for the joy of them.

I got up at 3am, took a very old soft Wizard, a nice Trudex and an old Harcork float. ..oh, and two pints of maggots.

I thought if I set my aim low, I can't help but have a 'blinder'

Wrong!

I caught two dace.

I consoled myself with a few tench at Marsh Farm, but it wasn't the same.

Anybody want a pint and a half of maggots?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm waiting 'til the rush is over and going next Monday morning.....my swim should be well baited up by then...

really looking forward to sitting by running water again though.....notice I don't mention catching fish.....!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
GS37......Mr Whatmore probably had to make an appearance at the forthcoming 'Moon Lander' championships so missed original thread........

..Its a lot to deal with in June.........

jcp01

Reaction score
I went out to Compton Verney at dawn with a stinking hangover after tench and perch of which I caught a single one pound fish on lobworm and then nothing much more, but in the afternoon eventually hooked and landed one of its hard to catch carp.

Next day was invited out to the Wark's Avon and had a five ounce dace first cast which I thought a very promising sign, only the dace got progressively smaller as the day progressed and not larger as I had initially hoped. Funny fish dace, my fishing for them always seems to go either upwards or downwards.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Colne today..

roach, perch, chub, (biggest 4lb) a few big gudgeon and few spawn filled minnows. Despite the downstream wind my 501 and 2lb line worked a treat trotting a stick with maggot..........
happy days......

Reaction score
Work commitments having finally eased..got to take the dosh whilst it's there....hope to get two or three evening sessions on the Dane this week, - but that's probably guaranteed the complete reverse!!!