Painting tip of rod white

Jimbo

Reaction score
Hi all, got myself a Greys Prodigy XT 1lb TC rod, but its a ground matt black blank. I'd like to paint the tip white, matt white of course. Any ideas on the paint? Want to do a decent job of course as its brand new.

Thanks,

James

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Use a white acrylic, they're water based, but waterproof once on.

Beauty is, they scrape off dead easy if you want to change back.

Buy either Humbrol model paint or an artist's Titanium White, Winsor and Newton or Daler Rowney both in students' quality.

A

alan whittington

Welcome Jimbo,i use'plasti-kote' craft paint from Wilko's,only thing is they've changed the paint recently from a fast dry enamel,oil based i believe(glass jar),to a water based version(plastic jar),which i cant get to take on my rods or quivertips for some reason,the glass jar version however is brilliant,so its worth looking through the display at wilko's hoping for success,all the best Alan.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Jeff has it right IF you should want to take the white paibt off at a later date. If not, spray it matt white, Halfords do it.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Jimbo , I use plumbers radiator sealing tape, have done for years if it gets tatty take it off and redo it, make sure you get the thinest one because theres two grades, its pure white

Windy

Reaction score
Why risk ruining a superb rod with paint? , when it gets dark, clip on a glowworm/isotope or the equivalent.......

Ummm I don't think that's what he was getting at.

Almost all fish (with exceptions, like Tench, I know) are silvery white underneath and to the lower flanks. For very good reason.

It doesn't matter how superb the rod may otherwise be, if it's dark coloured and sticks out above the fish like a silhouetted dark thing then it's going to lose out to the effectively invisible silvery white painted opposition.

The fact that most rods aren't (a) varnished matt, regardless of colour and (b) silver / white camouflaged instead of macho manly black is a reflection of the need to sell, not the need to catch.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The Plumers tape is called PTFE, any DIY store will do it.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

It doesb't matter what colour a rod is, I would think the white tip is so he can see bite indication more easy. John Wilson did it for that reason.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
The rod should be the same colour as the sky. But then you also get shadows which are all shades of grey. If you are fishing with tree canopy over head, then brown of leaf green colour. Thats why we have camo, and black or very dark grey rods stuck out over the water. Go with Spiders PTFE tape, or electrical insulation tape. Comes in several colours including strippy green and yellow, you can choose which is best for the light conditions at the time. All non permanent and easy to take of.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I can't see how it matters what colour the rod is, 16 mts of pole over the water doesn't put fish off, or laying them in the water. I also find it strange with camo bivvy's etc etc, most stick out like a flashing light, not camo.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
White tips help to see the bites better, John Wilson rods had white tips if I remember right. I think they are fine for the purpose except when the rod tip is high and the sun is on it, it becomes almost invisible then.

A

alan whittington

I can't see how it matters what colour the rod is, 16 mts of pole over the water doesn't put fish off, or laying them in the water. I also find it strange with camo bivvy's etc etc, most stick out like a flashing light, not camo.
It is very strange to see camo bivvies on lakes,where the anglers who own them have bloody great transit vans parked directly behind them(slamming all doors at regular intervals of course),all this whilst wearing camo clothing and drinking tea out of a camo mug,if you watch Danny Fairbrass's 'thinking tackle'(good angler and excellent programme),you see him in camo gear and ive never seen him fish less than 50yds out,usually nearer 100,the carp must be watching him with their camo 'bins'.;)

preston96

Reaction score
Most anglers haven't a clue about the art of concealment anyway........camo bivvys hahaha