Feeder question

Renato Ciler

Reaction score
I've been going out on some sessions using my feeder rod. It's a 3,6 carbon SPRO rod with two tips (2, 2 1/2oz). I always used the softer tip, because i mainly used it on lakes. Now, what do I want to know? how are your opinnions on monofil lines? are they better than normal nylon lines or not?
Second question, when setting up a paternoster.. how long should the loop be? If i cut it, the feeder half is longer than the hook half.. Is this ok?
Third and final.. does anybody knew some good home made recepies (groundbait is like gold in Croatia) for feeder fishing? mainly for bream, rudd, roach and tench...

THNX....

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For your paternoster, make a loop about 30 cm long.
Next cut the loop at the bottom.
You now have two pieces of line.
On one of them tie on a swivel, to which you attatch the hooklink.
Your feeder goes onto the other piece of line, which needs to be shorter than the first, and above the swivel. (the feeder half needs to be shorter than the hook half)

For your groundbait, use liquidised bread done in a food blender/mixer.

I'm not sure what you mean about the line, but I think mono would be the better of the two.

J

jason fisher

monofilament is normal nylon line.
what baz says is correct about the paternoster length.
as for ground bait, old bread which has gone stale ground up.
sheep food used to feed them in winter. molasses used to feed horses, grain based horse food.
chicken food.
if you can find anyone who keeps pigeons as pets the contents of the pigeon loft.
finely ground sugar beet.
ground hemp if you can get some.
you can make ground bait from all of these.
if you can get your hands on trout pellets used for feeding trout they are always worth adding.

K

Keith Orange

As Jason said, monofilament line is the same as nylon line. But there are different types of monfilament/nylon line, which could be divided into two main categories - normal nylon line, and the more modern high tech line (including fluorocarbon). The high tech line is made of a special type of nylon, which has a higher strength than a "normal" line of the same diameter. I suggest that these high tech lines are best used as hooklengths rather than reel lines. The reason is that compared to "normal" nylon, high tech lines are:

More expensive
Softer
After whilethey can go curly
Less elastic (stretchy)

"normal" line is tougher than high tech line. Swimfeeders put a lot of stress on a line when you are casting, so I'd use normal line on the reel, and just use high tech line for the hook length.

Renato Ciler

Reaction score
ok.. thnx for the GB advice.. but i dont think you understood my line question... I dunno how you call it in UK, but I was talking about that line that mostly spinners use... its made of lots of tiny lines molded into one.. (spyderline, supernova, silkworm etc), its nonelastic, very strong and very expensive...
it looks like its a normal string... sewing line... People who use artificial baits, woblers, silikon worms and stuff prefer this line because it gives them direct contant with the hook, they can fel every shake that a rapala makes...Same is with feeders.. you can feel (see) every "fishy" move on your rod tip.. but also, fish can feel even the slightest resistance....there is no normal amortisation that nylon line has due to its elasticty...

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Renato,
You are talking of braid. It is non stretch, and very thin for it's given breaking strain. And also quite expencive compared to mono. but it will last a lot longer.
Other people on this forum may advise you better, but I prefer to stay with mono myself.

Renato Ciler

Reaction score
thnx baz... so piplz.. what do you prefer with feeder? braid (direct contact in both directions) or mono ?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still prefer mono Renato, even when fishing at a long distance, and mono does stretch a lot.
Braid will not stretch and you see the bite a lot quicker than with mono.
It is what I am used to useing, and feel more comfortable with.
but the braid would probably be better.

K

Keith Orange

Renato, I use 30lb braid for spinning and deadbaiting for pike.

I use 8lb braid for long distance legering for bream, because the lack of stretch enables you to see delicate bites.

I also use 8lb braid when using floating crust at 30 or 35 metres distance for chub in a fast river. If you use nylon in these conditions, it's so stretchy that often the hook does not set on striking, so you miss the bite.

For the rest of my coarse fishing I use a basic nylon monofilament on the reel and a short length of high tech line for the hook length

Renato Ciler

Reaction score
well.. since I'm at it... I would like to ask you one more thing. I went feeder fishing the other day, and I cought some nice rud and bream... but I was wishing in very deep water with gravel on the bottom. What is the best set up for muddy bottom? with lots of debris and weed? Should I use inline or paternoster with a pop-up setting or use a long hooklenght?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure Renato, but I would use a long hook length.
Count your feeder down until just before it hits the bottom, and pull your line back slightly, hopefully your hookbait will land near the food from your feeder.

K

Keith Orange

Renato, here's a recipe for tench groundbait:

6 measures of dried white breadcrumb

2 measures of layer's mash ( a type of mixed grain used to feed hens and chickens)

1 measure of roast barley, ground fairly fine (kibbled)

1 measure of finely ground trout pellets