First 'Proper' Fishing Session

Lark

Reaction score
Four and a half bl**dy hours biteless on the Jubilee River.
This was seriously bad on a day that actually looked pretty perfect. This venue has a habit of switching on and off like a light but this was just taking the p.
Not a single sign of anything fish-like.... Not good.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
First question, did you buy a day ticket or are you a member of a TVAA club? The fish won't bit for anyone who's not legally fishing! :D

What times did you fish? Best to go at sparrows and pack up at 10:30 or go in the evening fish 'til dark.

Where did you fish?

What method did you use?

Through the day it's very mcuh like the Thames, you will hardly see a fish moving. Don't forget the topography and where likely holding areas are.

And don't feel too bad, we fished all day yesterday in the weir and not a touch until ½hour before going home. A nice chub (possibly) grabbed my three maggots and we had a fight for all of 20 seconds. All I ended up with was a pair of burnt knees and an aching back (lifting the boat in and out).

Lark

Reaction score
Late afternoon to evening - but I've caught at all times down there in the past,to a greater or lesser degree. Yesterday stood out because there wasn't a single bite all session - very strange. Even on bad days I normally get a handful of bits.
I was above the Marsh Lane weir, where I normally score some good bream and skimmers plus the odd roach and perch.
I decided to fish the slider rather than the feeder yesterday as I knew bites may be finnicky, but nothing was doing. The main Thames famously has a habit of doing this on occasions, I was just gutted as it looked spot-on and the previous evening I saw quite a lot of topping and rolling along the same stretch. I will persevere, as I always do and hope it switches back on. Even biteless, there's not many nicer places to spend a session!
And yes.... I am a member, for my sins.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Even biteless, there's not many nicer places to spend a session!
Wow, that says an awful lot for a river not yet 10 years old.

Early summer is tricky for the Thames and Jubilee, some days you will catch and on others, you can't buy a bite. Drives you mad, but is sounds like you were in the right area and know it quite well. Then again, if you always had a brilliant day and people read it the place would be crowded out and then you wouldn't find a free swim! ;)

Ever tried just below the Marsh Lane sluice? It's supposed to full of greedy perch, but how big?

Lark

Reaction score
I have spent a few sessions below the Marsh Lane sluice, struggled on the long pole and feeder. I also spent a fair bit of time spinning there before the freeze last year. I have heard of the large perch down there and I'm convinced spinning is the best method for them... We shall see this season... I hope.