River Dane

S

Skive

I am a member of Bay Malton, but have never fished the Dane. If any one can offer advice etc(including access) I will be grateful.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I cannot help you with the Bay Malton stetches, but I fish both the Lymm and Winsford sections. The Winsford is available on day ticket.
I suspect things are the same, though. For Barbel use lots and lots of halibut pellet, a light lead and either worm, pellet or boilie on the hook. In my experience you will feed for half an hour, catch for half an hour then it will go dead. So move onto another peg. The Dane will be on fire this weekend after the rain.
If you want chub, freeline a slug so it lands with a plop. They love it.
I like the day ticket stretch at Croxton Lane. I can tell some really good pegs there if you are interested.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Skive.......The BMAC stretch at Cotton Farm is probably the best bit of the river for chub and barbel. The approach detailed by Blunderer will work fine but don't ignore trotting with hemp and caster for the chub. Don't use maggot as there are hoardes of minnows. The Bostock Green stretch has been a bit of an enigma but but has recently started to produce some good barbel. The new stretch (don't know the name) has good chub, roach and grayling fishing and probably responds best to trotting. Directions are in your club card with the exception of the new stretch but ring Stewart Godber and he will tell you how to get there.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
One other thing.......if you target the barbel don't fish to light. Use 8/10lb line as a minimum as many of the pegs are full of snags and it is hit and hold in many situations but great fun.

S

Skive

Thanks for the info Guys. I fish the Dove mainly. But for some reason I have never fished the Dane even though its much much closer.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Good luck with it, Daniel
Skive is right re the tackle.
And don't forget worms! Much underused and massively effective.

Len Heap

Reaction score
Hi Skive,
I've just joined Bay Malton this year and I'm very impressed with what is a lovely stretch of water holding some good fish and a good set of guys on the bank,many of which are only to happy to point you in the right direction.

S

Skive

Daniel, thanks for the PM. I'm away working for the next week or so and then I'm off for a weeks fishing holiday. Will let you know how I get on when I'm back.

Blunderer and Len I will get in touch when I'm back. It would be good to meet up and be shown around.

All the best.

Stu

Piersie

Reaction score
Do any of you guys know anything about fishing the stretch immediately south of Northwich (I have a Northwich Anglers Association membership)? I have another week to fish it and have caught chub to around 5 lbs using corn, but I'm desperate to catch my first barbel. I move back to Sussex at the beginning of October.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Skive,

Look for the 'bald' swims. With a few exeptions most barbel chub swims are well known - you'll easilly spot them.

no bivvies on there yet though ;o)

Piersie

Reaction score
OK, that's not a bad idea. It would have been good to find theswims myself though, still, if you can't beat em join em I guess!! Thanks for the info.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Skive - now now, you don't want a visit from the 'Dane baliff' do you ?

Bream - ta mate. if you fancy a crack at them you could do worse than get a Stoke permit.