Upper Upper Thames

Darren George

Reaction score
Hello chaps.

Just scavenging for some info on the main species of the upper Thames above Lechlade, in the Cricklade area?

Im not after any secret info just the general species on offer down there.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Darren George

Reaction score
Oh and by the way, no other forum has given me any useful info, hope some one here is willing to help!

N

Nigel Moors 2

I've not fished it but a workmate of mine did before he succumbed to drink and gave up everything. Chub mainly with barbel and roach also. From what I remember him saying, the best approach was a roving one.

The Hood

Reaction score
That particular area is very narrow and winding, on most bend you will find the majority of coarse species, Chub, roach, Perch, Dace, the odd trout (Sorry Ron)and also Barbel.

As you get to the most upper reaches it changes again and you will find more Trout, dace etc.

Hope this helps

J

jason fisher

it's not far off too small to bother with, that far up.

personally i'd head downstream a bit.

species wise the 2 chaps before me are spot on.

B

Bill Eborn

I think its quite big compared to some of the rivers I fish, mind you I moved away from Cricklade when I was eight! I read a report in the AT a while back of someone getting a 6lb Chub on that stretch.

John Jones

Reaction score
I was in the area a few weeks ago and was told by locals it wasn't worth bothering with at Cricklade. I was told I'd be better off at Lechlade and so it proved.

There's some nice swims in the meadow above the bridge. I fished it a few weeks ago and had some decent sport with roach, medium sized chub and the odd bream from the swim opposite the bank of trees.

If your a float man it's ideal waggler water most of the way across on caster.

Above here it's not navigable and so you wont be bothered by boat traffic.

Darren George

Reaction score
Thanks chaps, thats about 600% more info than even the bigger forums gave me.

Quite disappointed noone mentioned grayling. Looks liks I wont bother with this stretch seeing as all the mentioned species are available more locally.

Thanks once again

Darren