Cloudy days poor nights?

J

john conway

If the day is overcast does the advantage of fishing into the dark diminish? Alan Strickland and I have certainly experienced this on the Lancster Canal when tench fishing, this seems also to my experience on the Ribble.
What?s everyone else experience?

Hutch

Reaction score
I tend to agree John, on recent trips on the Ribble which have all been overcast and darkish, i have been catching Barbel early in the session and bites on and off during the day, and on the couple of times i've stayed after dark, no noticable increase in bites. When the Sun was up all day, few bites in the day and no fish, but they came on after dark.

M

matthew nightingale 2

My limited experience is that fishing at night in poor weather (rain and storms) produces good catches of barbel! This is on the Ribble. Mind you I can't compare it with day fishing 'cos the wife won't let me go fishing then! You have to brave it though; my best catches have been around midnight.

M

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I think its just down to the fish feeding more during the day. When its bright they hide away the come out at night giving them a shorter feeding time and they will be hungry.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Give me an overcast, windy and rainy day on the Trent with the river 10 feet up and I'll catch make no mistake.

Don't need to fish at night.