Jeff's Modified Swimfeeders

pete proctor

Reaction score
Good article Jeff, just solved a similar problem I had with my feeders.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I know this article wasn't about the big feeders you were looking for a while ago Jeff, but did you solve that little problem and if so how.

We all go out and buy feeders don't we? I myself bought six heavy cage feeders the last time I went to Bewdley, but what you have described there is virtually making your own apart from cutting the tubing to length. Are we lazy or have we just got into the habit of buying everything we need rather than doing it ourselves which in some cases is a very simple exercise. I hold my hands up to that for sure.

Perhaps we ought to utilise the 'how to' bit of this site a bit more than we do and all contribute the simple little tricks that we all have and share them with those that don't know how. Just as you have done in fact. Your modifications I do as a matter of course but I would never have thought of writing an article about it, I never use big shot on the line when I fish a waggler because I think it damages the line and I use a modified set up to enable me to do this, maybe I should write an article on that!

Don't hold me to that Graham but I might, you never know.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Excelent Jeff, I really will have to get back into making my own feeders. A nice little tip on the shape of the lead as well. And yes, please do an article on fishing the bow if you have time.
Good idea of Grahams aswell if some of us made more use of the "how to" page. Or bodger jobs as I like to call them.
Jeff looks different again in these photo's, he has more faces than Fu Man Chu.

J

Jeff (Cheeky Monkey) Woodhouse

You're right Graham, it is just lazyness. In one of those pictures you see a spare weight from a Drennan feeder that got stood on. What should I do with the weight? Sling it in the bin or make up another feeder?

I have to say that most of the time it will end up in the bin. However, I have been working my mind around bigger feeders and there's some small bore plastic pipe or I'm even thinking of a wide-ish tube for a pole top. As for extra weights - the idea came to me yesterday day when I was having two new tyres fitted.

The leads they use to balance the wheels! They're even self adhesive now and should stand up to water (otherwise they'd fall off your wheels when it rained). I'm well in with my tyre man, I've use him for the past 18 years now for both of the cars' tyres and exhausts. He'll let me have some, but anyone else - find a local man they have buckets of these old lead weights lying around.

Separate thought! - I wonder if Europe are going to ban using lead as tyre weights?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,

An interesting description of feeder modifications, thank you.

What sort of rig do you use to employ these modified feeders with to avoid tangling?

I have in the past made up some large(ish) feeders from cut off and drilled pole top tubes and they work very well.

W

Wolfman Woody

Interesting question Peter. If I'm just fishing for bream at range I'll be using 4lb line and a 2.5 hooklength. The best rig by far is the simple loopa-de-loop method as in the NAA Code OF Conduct Page 23. As it says - use with caution!!!

If I'm using heavier line, as for barbel, then I am finding that Nash's semi-fixed lead release clips are working best. These are like the Korda ones, but much smaller. I have looked around for some rigs, I think John Roberts makes them, but our shop never has them and he won't order them for me.

Failing that, you can't beat a small swivel, a small rubber bead, and a length of stiff rig tubing that will stick within the eye of the swivel on the feeder. That gives a sliding set up. I suppose if you eliminate the rubber bead you could almost have a semi-fixed rig if the tube will slide over the mainline swivel's eye. If you see what I mean, but I've never tried it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,
I had imagined that you'd employ the loop rig. I have used this rig for years without ever having had a problem. I do agree that the rig has to be used with caution though, and always with a much lighter hooklength than main line.

The reason I asked was that the power gum extension would be a little on the "soft" side and would lead to some pretty horrific tangles when casting any distance.

W

Wolfman Woody

No Peter. Quite the contrary with the silicon tubing around them. I am casting 70-80 yards with them and hardly ever (can't say never) get tangles involving the feeder.

All the A4 match lads use this method as well, which is where I learnt it.