Help - Kentish Stour

Alf James

Reaction score
I'm thinking about revisiting the tidal Kentish Stour this winter. I haven't fished there for over 10 years and I want to make sure that when I visit that I have got the timing of the high tide correct.

I know that for the high tide at Sandwich you need to add 20 minutes to the high tide time at Dover but approximately how much more time do you need to add on to know when it's high tide at Plucks Gutter and Grove Ferry? Despite searching the internet I've been unable to find out and I wondered if there were any local anglers on this MB who might happen to know the answer.

Alf.

L

Les Clark

Alf, Plucks Gutter as been fishng well for bream, also pike.
Grove Ferry is now members only, both bank`s, no day ticket,as for high tide no idea mate.

M

Mel Crighton

Got this from an old 1980's Reeds Almanac Grove Ferry Plus 15 minutes on HW Ramesgate, sorry cannot be more acurate.

Alf James

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm off to Pluck's Gutter tomorrow and I'm hoping that the weather is not too unkind and the river isn't in flood.

Alf

M

Mel Crighton

Budgie, it is Canterbury Angling Associations water still, it is just that they have withdrawn day tickets.

B

Budgie Burgess

Well havind a life ban thats me stuffed!Thanks though Mel.

L

Les Clark

Budgie,A life ban from C.A.A. ? who did you upset then ,havn`t been a member for about 20 yrs,used to fish with Joe Fowle, Shame about Grove Ferry,good roach and pike section,if they had a separate member`s ticket for the river,that would be ideal.

B

Budgie Burgess

False address! need I say more.My obbsession with carp in the 80,s has caused me a coup[le of er little problems in later life.Same with Faversham too!

L

Les Clark

Budgie,we must have crossed path`s in the 80`s,I fished with,Joe Fowle,Steve Chadwick,old Ron from deal,John Roberts,plus many more,used to fish atC.D.A.A.,school pool,Leisure sport`s, waveney vally and lot`s more.

Alf James

Reaction score
Hi, Just thought I'd let you know how I got on last week.

Fished upstream of the Bridge at Pluck's Gutter and had 15lb of roach, which included a few skimmes, but I also had a 5lb 2oz Tench in absolutely mint condition.

I didn't know there were any Tench in the river. At first I thought it was a big bream and after a minute or so I changed my mind and thought it was a big eel. I was absolutely shocked when the tench surfaced. It didn't have a single mark on it and looked as if it had never been caught before.

So, I've been holding a Canterbury ticket all season and haven't used it up until last Sunday. First day back on the Stour for over 10 years resulted in one of the most enjoyable fishing trips I've had this year. Why did I wait so long before visiting the Stour again and why didn't I go there earlier in the year? I'm sure I'll be visiting a few more times before the season ends.

Alf

L

Les Clark

Nice one Alf, I cant remember hearing of tench comeing out ether,any pike out at all ?

Alf James

Reaction score
Les,

I got there at the break of dawn before any other anglers and walked a long, long way upstream. I didn't see another angler all day until my return along the river. I didn't see anyone piking so I can't say if any came out.

Alf

F

Frothey

used to hear of tench coming out, few carp as well. must be all the escapees from the lakes....