Rubbish

A

Andrew Thomas

I've just returned from yet another fruitless session on a Worcs river, this time the Severn at Bewdley, KDAA water below Blackstone bridge . To alleviate my boredom I had a stroll and a chat with a couple of blokes close by. When I packed up to go at 8.30pm my next-swim-neighbour had departed leaving behind him about 6 empty tins, 2 plastic bottles and a plastic bag at the top of the bank. What's that all about?

If that's what club waters are like then it's no wonder some farmers prefer syndicates!

D

David OLoughlin

I don't think there's anything one can say. The rest of the population to my mind are as bad, but anything by water we'll get the blame for. Anglers who leave stuff make me so angry as I feel a collective guilt & shame. I feel impotent as I don't know what else to do but pick it up.

P

Peter Morton

What the hell do we do about it?
Our club has a rule (strictly enforced) during matches,any litter found in your peg at the end of a match is your responsibility,wether it was there before does not come into it,when you leave that peg it has to be free of litter.If not you will be disqualified from the match and banned from future matches.
This may sound draconian,but as a small club with no waters of our own we have to rely on venues we can book,be they day-ticket or as guests of other clubs.
I feel it is something we just have to keep driving home.Some fisheries could do more by way of providing more bins etc,and stricter balifing but a lot is due i feel is due to the "casuals" who only get a rod out when the sun shines as an excuse to have a few beer's and top up their tan's.I fear educating some of these people may be an uphill battle.Anglers Mail tried with the Bin It campain,but i would like to think that it was targeted at the wrong people.Most of the true anglers that you meet appear to be responsible people,unfortunatly the action's of an irresponsible few will always tarnish the good work done by others!

Depressing isn't it!

A

Andy Nellist

I've fished waters where the rule is that you clear any litter before you fish. This seems to be very effective way of delaing with the problem.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've come across that rule as well and it is effective. Obviously, it means clear your litter when you pack up too.

J

Jonathan Faro

The club I fish has a rubbsih on your peg is YOURS rule with the threat of expulsion, talk to someone on your clubs commite, the Person that does the money (cant think of the word) tresurer thats it runs my local shop and he knows who it is as they bought the boilies they left the rubbish from from his shop the same day. I always pick up whats in my swim and came how with a bag full the other day

Jon

D

David OLoughlin

I think that it's the mentality of people, of which anglers are a sub-group. Take another sub-group, dog owners. Many dog owners do clean up but an example is at my daughters nursery. Despite signs identifying it as a kids area, some send their dogs up the lane to leave obsticles for the next day. I bet they're from the same families as these so called 'anglers' (Oh I've forgot, do b******s have families?).