FWK Wallis - Does anybody know what FWK stands for?

Glenn

Reaction score
Subject says it all.

Nobody I've asked seems to know...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This would be somewhere to start - a Nottingham genealogy / trace your ancestors group.

FWK Wallis (I am pretty certain he was 'Frank', just to kick off with; this is what old friends of his that I knew in the early 1970s both called him) was definitely Nottingham- or Nottinghamshire-based. He certainly had a whacking great pike from a local lake (it was cased by Cooper I believe, and certainly mentioned by Buller in 'Domesday Book of Mammoth etc)

I would start a trawl through the link posted below, if I could be bothered!

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/NOTTSGEN/2001-02

Glenn

Reaction score
Paul

If you have a look in John Stephenson's "Rosewood To Revolution" book, there is a mention (in the section about Hardy I think) of him being called "Freddie". If I could track down John Stephenson he might know.

The other thing was I saw him mentioned as being a JP (Justice of the Peace).

Thanks for the link Paul, I'll take a look.

Graham... I think it was more likely FWABPF

(fishing with a big pelican float!)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Email to me from an old but now distant fishing pal this afternoon:

"Frederick (or Francis) William Keith Wallis, I reckon, Paul. Remmember you taking me to meet Gordon with all his mastiff dogs and the three of us Wallis casting together in his field on top of a Welsh cliff? I'll never forget it - god I was cr@p! By the way, he WAS a JP. I have a letter of yours to me about FWK from the late 80s - early 90s somewhere, and you said he was a JP and Gordon telling you a pretty b--- tyrannical one!. He and the head bailiff Hayter at the Royalty not liking some of the new boys on the fishery, especially those with Illingworth f-p's and those who used a c-p but could only loop cast."

I had forgotten that.......

raz

Reaction score
firework wallis???? other than that i dnt hav a clue m8.

Glenn

Reaction score
Paul... that's probably about as close as we're going to get! Many thanks - that's great!!!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
In John Norman's "Coarse Fishing with the Experts", his introductory biography of Kenneth Clower says "... like his distant relation, F.W.K.Wallis..."
Googling "Kenneth Clower" gets you to an article by his friend Dave Steuart, who may be reachable via that site ... sorry it's a vague "paperchase" sort of lead, but it might be worth a go.

Glenn

Reaction score
Ah ha!... But I know somebody who knows Dave... :eek:)

Thanks Alan.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Fredrick William Kingsley Wallice.

If I remember right.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Sorry Wallis.

He was truly a great angler.

Even Bernard Venables could not get his initials right, not did he describe the cast properly.

Glenn

Reaction score
Ron

You sound pretty definite about that. Are you fairly 100%?

"Fredrick William Kingsley Wallis JP"

That "Kingsley" sounds familiar, and I'm sure I've read his name somewhere before...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I would not want to be dogmatic about this Glenn. It's just that somewhere, in my grey cells, something is telling me I might have read that many years ago.

J

jason fisher

the FWK is a shrtened version of his indian name, Flying With Kites.

Glenn

Reaction score
A searcg for him on genesreunited.co.uk has thrown up:

Frederick William K Wallis, Born c1858 in Long Eaton

There was a suggestion "K" might be Kirby...

K

King John

I'm off out any minute but when I get back I'll see if I can dig out my CD set of the 1881 census and see what I can find. It should turn up something with a birthdate and a place to aim at.

jp

Reaction score
King John has now delegated it to me,(bl**dy Royals!) so it will be me that's doing it, cos I'm off out with him.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah, but then again just look at these for the 1901 Census for Nottinghamshire!

1901 Census

Frederick Wallis
27, Born: Nottingham, County: Nottinghamshire Parish: Nottingham Occupation: General Labourer

Frederick Wallis, 35, Nottingham; Nottinghamshire; Nottingham; Lace Curtain Draughtsman

Frank Wallis
42, Nottingham; Nottinghamshire; Nottingham; Joiner

William Wallis

1)

32; Notts, Nottingham; Notts Nottingham; Master House Painter

2)

45, Notts Nottingham; Notts Nottingham; Litho Printer

And there were other Wallis's -- labourers, lacemakers, railwaymen and the like -- who looked less likely.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another question -- Wallis's age? What year did the catch that 14-6 Royalty record -- 1937 wasn't it?

If he had been born in c. 1858 (see Glenn's posting above), he would have been nearly 80 at the time of taking the record. My friends Gordon and Ken who learned the Cast from him in the early 1930s called him "the guvnor" or "the old man", but surely he wasn't THAT old...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I seem to remember that Wallis was connected to the lace industry, as was another great Nottingham angler: Henry Coxon.

Wallis was not a poor man. He had the where-with-all to travel to the Hampshire Avon where he caught some incredible catches of big barbel and chub in the Royalty Fishery.