What fish fights best?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Again a question that is very hard to answer.

Size for size in the UK freshwaters, there is nothing to touch a fit well conditioned overwintered rainbow trout. After that I would say a sea trout.

Of fish in salt water, a mullet really takes some beating as well as a bass.

Other fish that really fight are male tench, barbel and common carp caught from rivers.

Brown trout come well down the scale here. I would put grayling as a better fighter that a brown trout.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The blue variety of rainbow trout are absolute dynamite by the way. Probably the best of the lot.

T

The Monk

sea trout without doubt, pound for pound finer fighters than Salmon

B

Bill Cox

What about non game fish? I would say the Tench would give you a good run for your money.Sea water fishing i've gotta agree with the monk the sea trout is the daddy.

M

MaNick

pound for pound...

if you caught a perch at around 12lb i reckon it would give you a run for your money!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I don't think anything fights as hard as a crucian carp on light tackle, they really are fiery little critters, little pocket rockets. I could imagine them being a lot more popular if they grew to the sizes their cousins reach.

For sheer doggedness and strength you can't better the barbel, they will fight until they absolutely exhausted.

John Jones

Reaction score
lb for lb (or rather oz for oz) the bonny little gudgeon beats all comers.

T

The Monk

hooked a twelve pound Mirror carp up the bum once, what a fight that was!

Paul Hicks

Reaction score
Among coarse fish it must be barbel, but I caught a spring salmon once and that pulled as hard as a barbel but lasted twice as long. In stillwaters I once hooked a bionic tench which made a 40 yard+ run (honest!) before coming off. The same week a mate landed a male tench of 7-11 from that water so maybe that explains it. Trout are alright if you want something that just just splashes around a lot.

Andy S

Reaction score
lb for lb i'd say that Dace are the hardest fighting coarse fish. However for a sheer adrenalin rush i'd say river carp and barbel.

B

Bully

Bream foul hooked in the tail while spinning. I thought I was in for a 20lb plus pike !!

Mick Parkinson

Reaction score
River carp and barbel and when in Ireland the hybrids really give you a good battle. When we went on our holidays in our group of 10 or so, all agreed they fought like demons, its amazing when they come to the net and you see that there not that big either!

Simon Wyatt

Reaction score
Has to be an eel.

You'd need far stronger tackle to get a 10lb eel out of a water than any other fish of the same size.