Trotting rod

Y

yoggy

As most of my fishing is done on the deck,my knowledge of trotting is very slim.However,its time i changed this and would really like to have a crack at it especially for roach dace etc...Again my knowledge of the rod side of things is slim,any advice please..cheers.

J

jason fisher

depends on how much you have to spend, but i'd take a look at, in no particular order, daiwa, tricast,shimano and carbotec, but to afford a carbo tec you will probably have to sell some one into slavery.

K

Keith Orange

There's plenty of rods that fit the bill for roach and dace fishing. Look for 13ft float rods with a whippy tip, but avoid those that appear to be designed for carp float fishing in commercial lakes, as they may be too powerful for your needs.

Expect to pay about ?30 upwards. I saw a nice Shimano float rod (might have been the Catania model) for ?50 earlier this week

J

jason fisher

forgot preston inovations carbonactives also if you're feeling quite rich. wmac are doing a 15 footer for 160 quid.
i think greys do some decent float rods too.

really you need a fast actioned rod or even better a spliced tip rod for this type of fishing the fast action helps you pick line up off the surface and mend it as does a longer rod, it also helps you connect with fast bites.
also avoid any rod with power in the description.

Y

yoggy

I fogot to mention that i"ve been handed down a center pin reel [J.W.YOUNG/RAPIDEX]which is in super working order,so i"ll be using this reel in conjuntion with the rod.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yoggy.

Have a look at the MAP range they are pretty good rods all designed by Dave Harrell and they do the extended rods as well. In particular have a look at the Matchtek Ultra II which comes in 15ft and 17ft lengths, ideal for trotting and superb quality.

Y

yoggy

Thanks folks,,the whole aspect of trotting is something that i"m looking forward to,having spent the last few years mainly targeting chub,barbel,pike.Its something that i"ve been meaning to do but never got round to it.I guess i got "stuck in a rut!!".The thought of targeting dace,roach etc again with a centre pin and float rod is quite exciting,even though most of it to start will be a new learning curve,especially with the centre pin!!!!!!!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

For roach, dace and the odd chub I use a Drennan DRX 14 foot float rod.

?150.00 but you can get them cheaper if you shop around.

Richard Sylvester 3

Reaction score
im after the same type of rod (trotting).went down to my local dealers and had a chat to one of the staff he advised me to pick up and feel the shimano antares,it felt that good and well balanced he sold it to me for ?140 14ft antares.shops called climax in dronfield website is www.climaxtackle.co.uk

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Yoggy,

I would recommend getting the best rod you can afford. You'll be holding it all day and mending the line, so something that is light is a top priority.

I feel a slim blank is of benefit as they slice through the air with less effort. This helps hit awkward bites and makes the process of mending the line easier.

Normally I would recommend a long rod to help with tackle control but because you're new to trotting I would go for a 14 footer if you can spend more than, say ?120, or a 13 footer if you can afford less. Those rods will be much easier to control.

Ideally a 17ft rod that handles like a 12 footer would be ideal, but if they exist I haven't seen them!

I would balance the power of the rod with the size of the fish you intend to catch.

If you're after Roach and Dace then go for a rod with the lightest line rating as you could easily end up using 1lb hooklengths. A softer rod really reduces hook pulls. Too many hook pulls and you'll spook the shoal. I prefer a spliced tip model, but they seem a rarity nowadays.

The problem with a rod like that is it would be hard pushed to keep decent sized Chub under control in pacy water, or pick up heavier line trotted at distance.

That's why I've got 4 different float rods!

I don't know which rods to suggest as I haven't been looking to buy for ages. Daiwa used be really good, especially the spliced to models. A mate of mine reckons the top end MAP rods are pretty good.

If there's a rod that is supposedly suited to 1lb to 3lb hooklengths, that should be better than going for a more all round tool. Many of the float rods nowadays seems suited to chucking wagglers at commercial Carp and as previously stated, these will be too heavy.

Hope that helps.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

There are a couple of Drennan Spliced tip rods going cheap at Dave Parkes in Rotherham. Lovely rods too.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I agree with what Matt says,weight and diameter are a great aid when trotting because you should be holding the rod for most of the day with one hand. Most modern rods over a hundred pounds should pick line up as quick as a spliced tip rod,but go for a match or light line version that will handle hooklengths down to one pound or.07mm. Most manufacturers should have a rod that suits those requirements and my advice would be to visit a well stocked tackle shop to give them all a wiggle before buying. My choice is a Fox Vario Match because it is very forgiving which i like when trotting for roach and dace.

B

Big Rik

"weight and diameter are a great aid when trotting because you should be holding the rod for most of the day with one hand."

and he's going to stick a huge lump of metal on the end!!!!!

go for a small closed face reel, ultra light, ideal for trotting.
Forget the 125m, too heavy with the clutch, go for the 123.

MAP Matchtek, agree with Graham.
I've got the 13', absolutely superb rod.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I used to have a 123M and it had a couple of problems.

Firstly the bail arm release was inconsistent. You would press the button and it would click but you'd only find out that the bail arm was still on when you cast slapped the water.

Secondly it felt like it was gojng to exploded when you hooked anything big. It would really groan and stutter.

I must admit my current Abu 1044 is pretty 'groany' too.

I wish Shimano made a closed face reel.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Not that its anything to do with the original question and especially as Yoggy seems keen to use a centre pin (why?)closed face reels are ideal tools for trotting and very easy to use for anyone learning the rewarding art of stick float fishing but they do have their limitations.

Firstly they are far less durable than open faced reels and the more its used the less smooth it becomes, hence the grating noise thats referred to, this is probably due to the fact that the gearing is made of inferior materials.

Secondly, they aren't in any way meant for, or capable even, of handling big fish on a 'regular' basis, they will soon wear out if you do, so if you are thinking of targetting barbel use a fixed spool reel (or a pin of course). The clutch (if it has one)is best ignored as they are next to useless, backwinding is the only way to go.

Having said all that they are delight to use for your average trotting and I personally use the original 1044 which has a single pick-up pin as opposed to the double one thats used now which is prone to sticking. The only closed face reel that I would deter anyone from buying is the ABU 501 Mk2, its totally garbage and best put in the bin where it belongs.

B

Barry Edney

Reading through this thread has made me want to splash out on a new trotting rod myself. The rod I've got in mind is a Greys Bewick 14-16ft. Has anyone used this rod? If so I would appreciate your remarks.

Y

yoggy

Thanks for all your help,i have noted what you"ve all said,,as far as my center pin goes then???...are we saying i"d be better off with a closed face reel??,,and progessing to my center pin?.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Exactly that Yoggy, learn the intricacies of fishing the stick first, and thats with practice rather than books and then, once you feel confident, you can learn the art of the pin which is an art form in itself, especially the casting. If you havn't got a closed face use a fixed spool and fish light, I'd recommend 2.6lb bayer mainline and 1.7lb bayer hooklengths to a 20 hook for either type reel

Y

yoggy

Thanks Graham,,i"ve just had a look on e.bay and there are some Abu closed face reels going so i might but in a bid for one...regards.