Flavoured maggots

A

Adrian Bartle

When using Turmeric to flavour maggots, how much should I use per pint? and has anyone used other flavours from the larder?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Adrian,

Use just enough to provide a light coating on the maggot. I know that sounds somewhat trite, but maybe a couple of teaspoons full per pint as a rule of thumb.

Remember typically to use sweet flavours in the summer and spicy/savoury in the winter, as a general rule.

Sensas have a very good range of flavours including the old favourite Brasem (in different colours) which I am never without especially for Bream fishing. Vanilla and Almond are excellent for Roach fishing and on relatively warmer days are very good even in the winter.

Hope this helps.

Ergo

Reaction score
I don't bother much with maggots, but when I do, I use a ligh curry powder. About a level tablespoon of this into a plastic bag. Put in the maggots and shake well for a couple in minutes.

(Don't drop the bag, it goes everywhere :( )

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Adrian, when you use flavours don't be tempted to put too much in because that can act as a deterrent rather than an attraction, 2mls per pint of maggots is quite sufficient. You want to hint at a flavour rather than have it knocking your head off.

One flavour I wouldn't be without is pineapple it works miracles sometimes and a further refinement is a sweetener, something like Betalin.

E

Eric Melling

Have to agree with Graham that pineapple is an excellent flavour additive but would also include Solar's liquid candy sweetner at around 2ml per pint if used on its own or 1ml in combimation,Outstanding attractor in is own right, Particularly for Bream

Eric

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
One further thought, and this might seem obvious but:

Never use flavourings if you plan to use Sticky-Mag . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

cos they won't stick! :-0

A

Adrian Bartle

Good point........

Going for chub.....bronze vs white maggot

A

Adrian Bartle

Good point........

Going for chub.....bronze vs white maggot which one's best?

Pressed submit too soon............it's the same at home!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Adrian,

I tend to prefer bronze maggot for most of the year in fact, although white maggot does seem to take on flavourings better, maybe this is something to do with the dying process(?)

Don't forget that liquid flavours can also be a devastating Chub bait, but don't over-do the flavour.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I always opt for bronze but thats a personal thing, I'm never sure if colour makes a difference. It was always considered the best colour maggot to use on a river years ago but there are a lot of people that won't use maggots with crysodine on after Smithy (the England captain) died with cancer reputedly from using crysodine maggots. The notion is pooh pooed now but old habits die hard and I'm still here, and Johnny Jones, he's like me bronze every time.

W

Wolfman Woody

Has anyone ever notice, or maybe it's just me, that red maggots never seem to be as large in size as the other colours? And yet I like using reds.

Turmeric and corriander powder are both great flavour enhancers, but it's also because they are great de-greasers too. Gets all that amonia laden sweat off them and I don't think fish like that so much.

And of course, aniseed oil.

M

MaNick

I Like using red's and whites too...

Iv'e never been sucessfull, or confident in the blues and greens, although i still buy a mix, and just pick out the nice scrumptious fat hookable looking one's for the hook!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how we are all quite different in our approach?
I have never had much confidence in red maggot other than for perch fishing, but I always have red, white and bronze in my bait bag.

I have had a lot of success using the so called disco maggots in fluroescent colours in the past. Sadly though, my local shops (Wilton to Ringwood area) don't seem to stock these anymore.

I tried the greens and blues years ago when fishing matches in Scandinavia with little success, which is rather strange as you would have thought that a green maggot is almost more "natural" in some ways.