Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Adrian Bartle Guest

When using Turmeric to flavour maggots, how much should I use per pint? and has anyone used other flavours from the larder?

Blog Entries

Adrian,

Use just enough to provide a light coating on the maggot. I know that sounds somewhat trite, but maybe a couple of teaspoons full per pint as a rule of thumb.

Remember typically to use sweet flavours in the summer and spicy/savoury in the winter, as a general rule.

Sensas have a very good range of flavours including the old favourite Brasem (in different colours) which I am never without especially for Bream fishing. Vanilla and Almond are excellent for Roach fishing and on relatively warmer days are very good even in the winter.

Hope this helps.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Adrian Bartle Guest

Thanks Peter, it does help very much.

I don't bother much with maggots, but when I do, I use a ligh curry powder. About a level tablespoon of this into a plastic bag. Put in the maggots and shake well for a couple in minutes.

(Don't drop the bag, it goes everywhere )

Adrian, when you use flavours don't be tempted to put too much in because that can act as a deterrent rather than an attraction, 2mls per pint of maggots is quite sufficient. You want to hint at a flavour rather than have it knocking your head off.

One flavour I wouldn't be without is pineapple it works miracles sometimes and a further refinement is a sweetener, something like Betalin.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Eric Melling Guest

Have to agree with Graham that pineapple is an excellent flavour additive but would also include Solar's liquid candy sweetner at around 2ml per pint if used on its own or 1ml in combimation,Outstanding attractor in is own right, Particularly for Bream

Eric

Blog Entries

One further thought, and this might seem obvious but:

Never use flavourings if you plan to use Sticky-Mag . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

cos they won't stick! :-0

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Adrian Bartle Guest

Good point........

Going for chub.....bronze vs white maggot

Adrian Bartle Guest

Good point........

Going for chub.....bronze vs white maggot which one's best?

Pressed submit too soon............it's the same at home!

Blog Entries

Adrian,

I tend to prefer bronze maggot for most of the year in fact, although white maggot does seem to take on flavourings better, maybe this is something to do with the dying process(?)

Don't forget that liquid flavours can also be a devastating Chub bait, but don't over-do the flavour.

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast