Team Daiwa - Leger Mk III Heavy Feeder Rod

• Thread starter matthew nightingale 2
  • Start date
M

matthew nightingale 2

I've got a Daiwa Heavy Feeder rod which I haven't used for a while; does anyone know what the test curve is? Save me faffing about with bags of sugar etc.

Thanks

M

W

Wolfman Woody

You don't say which model, Matthew.

Porky Pig, Team Daiwa, Harrier, Tornado .....

Should it matter? What is it like against the flow of a river? How does it cast weights?

Feeder rods should be judged on TC anyway in my view. The tips even, although nowadays they specify a weight, should be taken with a pinch of salt. The river doesn't run past with a sign on saying "Use a 3oz tip today". Trial, experience and error.

W

Wolfman Woody

sorry "Feeder rods should be judged on TC anyway in my view."

should read "Feeder rods shouldn't be judged on TC anyway in my view."

M

matthew nightingale 2

Its the Team Daiwa Mark III. I haven't used it for ages because I've been targetting Barbel with a Fox rod. Its just I fancy going a bit lighter for some Chub. I want to see how strong I can go with the reel line.

M

J

john conway

Am I missing something here Matthew you want to use a heavy feeder rod because you fancy going lighter for Chub? Like Cheeky Monkey says forget about the test curve just try it and see how it handles. Line wise if it?s classed as a heavy feeder rod you should have no problem with line up to 12lb. Not that you need 12lb line for chub, you may need it for abrasion or if there?s a chance of picking up barbel. I?m of the principle where you fish heavy enough to land the fish quickly yet still get the bites. Better to miss out on a few bites than loose a few fish.

M

matthew nightingale 2

Its the ability to use more sensitive tips that appeals. On the Daiwa rod I can go down to a one ounce tip if need be; with the fox its 5 ounce or nothing.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry Matthew, my eyes aren't what they used to be - it was in the thread title of course.

Yes, I remember it. The bit immediately above the handle was sprayed a blue colour, but I think they changed it on later models to a lilac. Very nice rods, but I wouldn't go more than 6lb (about .21 - .23 mm) on the mainline.

Although termed "heavy" they were just to cast out rather heavier feeders, but even those have changed in the years since. I recently sold an old, but similar, Daiwa Matchwinner heavy with dual tops, but the quiver bit was at it's best with 4-6lbs line. With the hollow (Avon style) tip you could use 8lbs line, but I wouldn't have exceeded that.

And I caught barbel on it with both tips!