Let's have some advice

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have aquired a pole. A Daiwa Super Phantom 14.5 metre. I mainly got this for canal fishing as we in this area have some of the best of this type of fishing in England, namely the Chesterfield and the South Yorks Navigation canals.

Now I'm not interested in match fishing so pole rollers etc are of no interest to me. What I do want is a simple system of using the pole where I can rest it whilst waiting for a bite or baiting up.

I was thinking of two special rests utilising a "Clever Claw". Any other ideas would be more than welcome.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,

The most important thing is to be level when fishing with the pole. This invariably means using a seat box with levelling device.
To the box there are a multitude of different pole rests available, the ones I use are made by Octoplus as I find them very stable and being made of rubber cannot damage the pole.
I would also recommend both a pole roller for safety and a pole grab to rest your pole in securely when you have unshipped the top 3 or 4 sections to land a fish.

Unless you can get into a level position then there is a very real chance of suffering with back ache after a few hours fishing.

Hope this helps :)

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Oh dear Peter looks like more money to spend.

Most of the banks where I shall be fishing are fairly level - canals.

What are the best boxes to buy without breaking the bank.

Hey, next year about April, what about a canal fish-in. Could be a good day and there are some belting roach in the South Yorks Navigation.

W

Wolfman Woody

I can't believe what I am reading here. Is this a wind-up or what? Will he be going carp (pastie) bagging on commercials next?

If you are serious - I'd go along with Peter, get a proper seat, one with the groove in the middle. It's not to protect your piles either.

For now, in front you want a strong rod rest well screwed into the ground. On top of that you want a SMALL Seymo 4" roller or a Seymo SMILEY rest (they'll know what you mean). This should be set at a height so that when the pole is tucked underneath your family jewels (hence the channel in the seat) and resting on the roller/Smiley rest, it is level to the water and in line with where you are fishing.

You really will want a pole roller behind you as well, Ron, believe me. If you have a leveling system on your box seat then perhaps some sort of over/under rests will fit. I use Octoplus ones as my seat has an Octoplus frame. Take a look here These are handy when you have shipped back and want to change baits or just have a cup of coffee or don't want to stick the pole under your wedding tackle.

Some gear can be expensive, but like Peter says, there's a real chance of suffering severe back problems if you don't get it right. 14? metres is a lot of pole to hold when it's badly balanced.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

No I won't go bagging on commercials Jeff.

I have for many years realised that pole fishing is a vital part of any angler's armoury and as an all round angler I like to be able to do a bit of everything.

I was thinking particularly of tenching and roaching on the fens and canals. Thank's for the advice anyway. I'll go and see my dealer about some of those bits.

And I have never suffered from piles in my life.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ron,

1. Hold the thick end.

2. As a match angler, I always sought to catch at the closest range possible, and therefore alleviated the problems of holding a long pole as much as possible. This is especially true for roach.

3. There is a lot of technique involved. Talk to Andy Kinder of Barnsley. He's about 7 stone wet but handles a long pole with the best of 'em.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just a little puzzler.

You said on a thread about the Harrison Sulis, one of which you bought (flash bugger) - "Eeeh - I'm like a kid on Christmas morning."

You then start another thread entitled "He Hee!! Just picked up me - Christmas pressie - He Hee!!" and posted -
"To myself of course. A brand new pole.
A Daiwa Super Phantom 14 1/2 metre pole with fully elasticated top 3.
Can't wait to get out on a local canal and try it out."

For a person who doesn't believe in the Christmas spirit, good will to all men, carols and good cheer, you don't half look after yourself. A true Yorkshireman.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ron,
Sorry but as the lads said you really should get a roller, preferably a free standing one. Also remember that just because the pole is 14 metres long, you don't have to fish at this length.

The canal I fish is about 16 metres wide and wider still at the basin, I generaly fish a line in the margins next to the reeds on my right, a line between 8 - 12 metres out and a waggler line across the far side. I keep the other sections set up and on a roller behind me in case a larger fish comes along, the roller will help prevent tangles as the pole doesn't bounce around whilst shipping out, it also makes bringing fish in smoother and results in less bumped fish with the hand over hand technique used when trying to get fish in with nowhere to put the heavier sections when landing fish. I'd also suggest atrip to the local Halfords for a bottle of Armor All This is a lubricant for you elastic and the bottle is about 20 times bigger than the lub in the tackle shop and costs the same or less.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Jeff,

I live by the Yorkshireman's creed and I recite it every morning to a photo of one of the greatest living Yorkshiremen - Fred Truman, who also liked to do a bit of fishing.

"Ear all, see all, say nowt,

Eight all, sup all, pay nowt,

An if tha iver dus owt fer nowt,

Do it fer thissen."

Now excuse me whilst I carry on tippexing last years Christmas cards.

On each card I write - "Things are tough, times are hard - here's your f.....g Christmas card."

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Oh buy the way, in the envelope is an invoice for the cost of the stamp!!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Heyup Ron,

I prefer a level seat box with a pole seat. It's easy to feed while keeping the pole still. I've seen that Humberside Angling are doing some very reasonable seat boxes.

As stated a pole roller become essential at longest length, but up to around 10m you can get away with shipping back over a rod holdall.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The best advice I can give you Ron is always be careful when you have your pole out behind you, especially on the canal. You would be surprised how many people get broken sections caused by cyclists AND walkers. I once had a cyclist bunny hop over mine, I nearly had bloody heart failure I'll tell you.

Top 3's lying flat on the ground are a magnet for big feet even your own, that applies to unused sections as well.

Practice feeding the pole back in the garden, and holding the pole whilst you feed with a catapult, which is probably the single hardest thing to learn.

Most of all, enjoy Ron, its great on the cut.

fred hall

Reaction score
The best accessory I've bought for pole fishing is a PUPSS = Penrose universal pole support system which is a simple arm suspended about 5 feet in front of your seatbox. Rest the pole across this and sit on the butt end. A grooved pole seat on the box also helps. This leaves both hands completely free for feeding and hopefully striking. Assuming you are a bloke just be careful with that pole butt end!!!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ron,
You are not match fishing so speed of shipping in and out do not concern you.
It is far wiser to get into the habit of bringing youre pole in paralel to the canal bank and unshipping as you go,laying the sections alongside the canal path, and not to cross the towpath with your'e pole.
It's a lot safer from cyclists, walkers, and joggers etc.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Baz,

That's what I did with my last pole. Had no problems with people behind me.

Will just have to get something to rest it on.

S

Steve May

Ron
Forget putting the pole down and not holding it,the main advantage with a pole is "working the swim".Best advice is watch a match on the cut,half hour will be enough.I gaurantee NO ONE will put the pole in a rest,they will constantly work the float expecting a bite any moment!
Got to be 30 mins well spent.
Good luck.

W

Wolfman Woody

Another good point about those specially designed poles seats with the groove in them, Ron.

You can crack a really good fart off without risking the deadly effects of BLOWBACK!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Good point Steve, I never use a pole rest, you miss far too many bites that way. If you have a nice light pole you can sit on it like Cheeky says and support it with your knees as well, enabling you to use the catapult or have a cup of tea, if you get a bite just lift your knees and the fish is on, saves a lot of money and lugging extra weight, far more efficient IMHO

Yorkie

Reaction score
Nah then Ron.

You'll be needing a pole roller, it'll make unshipping the pole much easier.

Clever claws are very good and also very expensive. Octoplus make them too and they are expensive.
WB Clarke make 'em in pairs for the price of one octoplus claw.

I tend to keep hold of my pole when fishing and use the claws for feeding or just resting the pole when the sport is slow.

You've got 14.5m of carbon, that doesn't mean you've to use it all. In fact catching 'bits' in quick succession at 14.5m can be very tedious and very tiring. To be honest, I very rarely use mine at 14.5, generally use 9 - 11m but it depends on the venue.