mail or times

smithy

Reaction score
whats your favorite anglers mail or angling times same day what do you buy i get both but nice to see what others get,,

J

John Lock

I currently get both but, with some financial belt-tightening needed in the new year, I'm going to give one of them a miss. Not sure which one yet but I think I prefer the Times.

PTnymph

Reaction score
I'd buy the Angler's Mail, Angling Times, Coarse Fisherman and Pike & Predators

C

Chris Bishop

Local papers, far more comprehensive catch reports etc.

PTnymph

Reaction score
Chris - Not all local papers do a far more comprehensive catch reports. We did have one in our local papers but all stop about 10 years ago.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Angling Times.

I find that Angler's Mail is too much of a comic. I've always taken Angling Times and Richard Lee is the best editor we have had in years.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Oh by the way, I will be resuming my column in Angling Star in 2005, all being well.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I prefer the Angling Times

My local paper has no angling coverage and we don't get Angling Star here either

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Since the Mail gave the unrepentant, gloating Collins a prize I haven't touched it. Bought the Times for the Ivan Marks obit., but at the moment, Coarse Angling Today seems to lead the field.

P

Peter Waller

The Times just winds me up! Really don't think it does anything for pike. And as for their Pike Championship coverage, grrrrrrrrrr! And then there is Dear old Des!! I buy it once in a while but still don't rate it. And since they have added a carp magazine, which I really don't want, I reckon its a poor deal. Mail for me. Atleast the Mail exposed the Collins affair! And wasn't Collins something to do with the Times?!!?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Peter Collins was an assistant editor to Jack Thorndike in the 60s.

The exposee of Collins would have been done with glee by the Mail of course. Probabley a bit OTT.

Mind you in the 60s I did an awful amount of work for the Mail. Centre Spreads, comments etc.

That was when it was green in colour. Anyone remember those days?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

One of the things a lot of the angling papres seem to spend too much time on is exotic species in far-away countries.

Many anglers will never be able to visit such places. I am lucky in that I have caught a few exotic species in my life, but once you have done it, you have done it.

More articles on what we do in our own back garden would appeal far more to the average angler.

P

Peter Waller

Actually, Ron, I thought the Mail resisted the glee bit in exposing Collins very well. It was, I thought, a responsible bit of editorial, without rubbing it in.

It's the 'free' carp comic that is included with the Times that puts me off more than anything. It may be 'free' but I hate paying for something I don't want.

S

swordsy

the problem with the times and the mail is they are loosing touch with the "common angler"when i was a lad any tom, ****, or harry could end up on the front cover holding their prize for all to see,brimming with pride.now its bob nudd, matt hayes, john wilson,ect,ect!the average angler would be more inclined to buy the paper knowing their was a chance of being in it instead of looking at matt hayes holding a bone fish caught in cuba.its time to get back to the grass roots and cut down on the unrealistic and the tackle catalogue aspects, i dont know how many more "can`t live without" things i can afford to buy.still i buy them both, but i do buy the locals and the monthlies as well.angling star, coarse anglig today and coarse fisherman for my money are tops.

S

swordsy

andy is that a chub or a bronze bull terrier on your picture? that`s got to be where "the dog" tag comes from :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron asks:
"That was when it was green in colour. Anyone remember those days?"

Ron, I remember that very well, what did it cost then, about 6d?

(for those born after February 1971 that is about 2?p :)